Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th April 2009, 05:19 PM
Friend

Default Note to Self: Must look at the galleries here more often

I was just looking at the wet collodion work done by Tim Soar - and this forum's very own Carl Radford - in the Scottish slate quarry at Kirkstone.

This was on Tim Soar's website, to which I was directed by his father, Peter Soar, who I know quite well. Soar senior had seen the original prints at Tim's over the Easter weekend and was mightily impressed.

The pictures were impressive; then I saw Carl's name as co-producer, came here and found the very same photos in his album on FADU.

That'll teach me to be more observant in future...

Great set of pictures Carl. I've always had a fascination with the results produced by this process, but have never yet tried it myself. They have this remarkable appearance of 'age' whilst being of quite modern subjects.

As an aside, although Peter Soar's working life was spent as a solicitor (he is now retired and over 80) he has always been a keen photographer - although he claims that had no influence on his son's rise to fame as one of the best architectural photographers in the UK. And one, by the way, who frequently uses film and old processes.

I am in fact working with Peter Soar on printing - and hopefully exhibiting - a series of pictures he made of Cambridge City Centre in the 1970s, whilst he was on his way to work every day.

They are a remarkable record of a part of the City now changed beyond recognition. You can see them on my website here if you care to.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:08 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I may be wrong but I thought that Kirkstone Slate was in the English Lake District.

Bill
Old 16th April 2009, 12:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMar View Post
I may be wrong but I thought that Kirkstone Slate was in the English Lake District.

Bill
Was when I parked there last.
Old 16th April 2009, 05:37 PM
Friend

Indeed it is - in Kirkstone Pass above Ambleside! I spent the first part of the weekend teaching Tim the process and then we headed to Kirkstone Quarry to make images in the field. My hands are silver pretty black from the amount of plates that we produced. Funnily enough I also guided Tim in the making of the Plt/Pd images of One Wood Street that can be seen on his site although had nothing to do with the making of the images themselves. Tim is a great influence and has been a great support to me in my work. His dad can be proud of his son for sure - a really nice all-round individual! I have not included any of the landscapes im my gallery here as they were Tims alone - although he may have had some help with the preparation and developing of the plates!
Old 16th April 2009, 07:32 PM
Friend

Just so people can see where we were - here is Tim with his big toy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-XWk...e=channel_page
Old 17th April 2009, 03:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
"Tim showed me some wet collodion prints he had done for a commission at a slate mine in Scotland."
A doting father obviously got his facts wrong...
Second note to self: Always check your sources...

Tags
cambridge, history, soar, wet collodion
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies