Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th September 2015, 05:36 PM
Friend

I'm a memeber of Chesterfield Photographic Society I never enter the competitions because they keep saying there is noise in my darkroom film prints go figure, but we do have a film group that meets every month and show our latest slides and talk about film and cameras
Old 25th September 2015, 11:26 AM
Friend

Michael, I'm late on the thread as I haven't been paying attention for a couple of days. NIPA has a fair spread of clubs throughout the north: when I retired back in '04, I joined a Belfast club. While it did display all the faults mentioned in this thread, I did find a few kindred spirits there.

On moving out of Belfast in '07, I let it lapse. A couple of years later, I thought of trying Antrim or Banbridge (Lisburn once had a club but it had fallen apart); but both clubs' websites put me off a bit.

Maybe we could try occasional meetings with anyone else on FADU from Northern Ireland? We'd certainly not need to run competitions.

I think maybe the best-sounding club is Christian Brothers in north Belfast. Jim Moreland was a member and I know a few other people who belong or belonged. They meet somewhere up the Antrim road.

All the best,

(another) Michael
Old 25th September 2015, 12:05 PM
Friend

Does the RPS have a NI Chapter? Maybe you could start an Analogue NI Chapter if not or join it if it does.
Old 25th September 2015, 06:10 PM
Friend

Argentum, there are two Irish RPS regions but they are both rather quiet.
Old 25th September 2015, 08:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Argentum, there are two Irish RPS regions but they are both rather quiet.
That may be because there isn't a dedicated NI Analogue Group.
Old 28th September 2015, 10:35 AM
Friend

Michael thanks for your input from a local perspective. I'm closest to Ballymoney and might give their club a try.

But I'd be up for an occasional meeting of local FADU members - just informal. I do have mobility issues so driving long distances regularly is not my thing, but a couple of times a year would be fine.

If any other NI members would be interested then perhaps leave a message and we can start from there?

Rgs,
Michael
Old 28th September 2015, 07:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Must admit, I grew tired of my local photographic club - It appeared to be divided in to two camps and unless you used a Canon or Nikon, most of them would shun you. If you shot film, some would try to convert you to the dark side whilst others would keep you at arms length.
That's my experience too. I didn't enjoy my time in a camera club. I met some nice people, but it quickly got strained. There is only so many times you can get asked 'Did you shoot that in RAW?' before you go totally loopy.

It got so boring that don't belong to a club any more. I did try and broaden their minds with talks on 'art' photos from the greats we all admire, Adams, HCB etc. They enjoyed that but it quickly got back to the exercises in photoshop etc.

I 'belong' to an informal B&W film discussion group. We are all 'club rejects'. We meet about 7 times a year so it doesn't get boring or feel a chore. It's a 40 mile drive, but worth it.

Last edited by JohnB; 28th September 2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 28th September 2015, 09:04 PM
Friend

Yes it is odd that some people can get so wrapped up in technology which was designed and created by some one else who probably would not know the difference between a lens 'stop' and a door stop!

I look on the difference between digital and traditional photography as the same as buying a piece of flatpack furniture and assemble it with nothing more than a allen key and a screwdriver.

Whilst traditional photography is a craft that can be very much compare to a cabinet maker who makes a fine piece of furniture using skills honed over several years using quite basic tools.

That may be a simplistic view of things but whilst a person using digital will be able to make a very presentable image easily and quickly, the analogue worker will have used 'feeling' and skill to produce something with real personal worth.
Old 29th September 2015, 09:45 AM
Friend

I have been taking photographs for over 60 years and was put off clubs way back in the 1960's. Like some others on here I am very much a loner, I take pictures I like and if other people don't like them so what.
Back to the club scene. My uncle was a member of a club in Edinburgh in the 1950s and he to0k me along sometimes at the age of 9 or 10. Later in my twenties, I went along to the club to join. As others have said clubs seem to make cliques. The rules for competitions were that prints were to be submitted the week before the competition and should be anonymous. So I duly took mine along a week ahead. On the night of the competition judging was delayed, Why? The club secretary was down in the darkroom printing out his photos for the competition. Half an hour later he produced his prints and pinned them on the wall in front of the judge. Obviously violating the anonimity aspect. The judge of course new all the committee. Oddly, the secretaries photo was very similar to mine being of a building with several pillars. The judge looked at mine and commented that there were converging veritcals. This was deliberate as I had got down on the ground to take the picture. He then came to the secretaries picture which also had converging verticals, but not so prominant, and made no comment on this. Guess what? The club secretary won the competition. When I raised the ponts above I was shot down in flames. Have never joined a club of any sort since.

Last edited by NormP; 29th September 2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 30th September 2015, 07:34 PM
Friend

I have been in 'Clubs ' all my Photographic Life since 1951 when I joined teh east Ham Grammar School Photo=Soc after school in the Chemmy Lab run by 'Gabby' Heyes the Chemistry Master -- then joined teh South Essex Camera Club in Manor Park Library meeting once a fortnight and was the Youngest member at 15 years old. There all the members were 'Old Fogeys' of 35 plus to over 70 but I never noticed == all I saw were fellow Photo Enthusiasts -- I met many FRPS members such as George Crosby FRPS who lived in Woodford Green Essex and he use to invite me over so Icycled all the way there from East Ham and he showed me printing with 'Amidol' home-made developer then his wife Ann would make me marmalade on toast -- still have a 10x8" print done there with Amidol -- then the SECC Folded and I found Barking PS in 1959 -- well there were some Old Fogeys there alright -- one always spoke out that the Club was only for 'Pictorial Photography' -- if you submitted am 'Action Photo' it was not 'Pictorial' but us 'Younger Members'( and I was left from the Army by then and 22 years old) rebelled and did Action, Candids etc then at last a go-ahead member became Chairman and the Club REALLY took off-- we got lots of coverage in the local Newspapers for our 'Exploits' such as having a Print Critique on Speakers Corner Hyde Park London, photographing teh Barking Carnival on Ferraniacolor, where I rush processed 8-10 films and we put on a slide show to the Mayor,Carnival Court and Great Unwashed members of Public. We were all KEEN in our 20's to early 30's ---- then Wife No 2 went off with the Vice-Chairman of BPS and I had moved to Brentwood in 1965 but still went to BPS -- so after about 33 years service were I was made President I resigned and joined Brentwood full time-- where I have been President and now am Honourary Member and on Wife No. 3 BUT the Old Fogey element is STRONGER than ever ( even though I am now an Old Fogey at 78)and they had an extra=ordinary AGM where they voted against having Young Members under the age of 15 which put off my Wife and two Kids ( who wanted to join) and they have never been back and my Boy has been put of 'Old People' for life -- even talks to his Dad badly now ---
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies