Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd July 2009, 10:09 AM
Friend

Mmm, might just take you up on that one day Mr Reed.
BTW; what model of head-clamp do you have in stock?
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:48 AM
Friend

They all seem to be showing back-ordered at present

I think a little plate making factory would be a distinct possibility if a few people with some space (not to mention time) could get together. The only way to do it is a 'curtain' coater that takes in the glass pieces, butted end to end, and flows the emulsion down a membrane onto the glass as it passes along beneath, conveyor belt style. The emulsion could be bought in.

Maybe there could be a straw poll, who would use plates if they were an affordable option?
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:46 PM
Friend

Looking at this thread, I've been wondering what Carl Radford does for glass supplies - though obviously he coats his own plates.
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:27 PM
Friend

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Looking at this thread, I've been wondering what Carl Radford does for glass supplies - though obviously he coats his own plates.
Carl buys 3mm agricultural glass from a glazier who kindly cuts it to size for me - I then coat the plate myself and expose - wet of course. Glass plate negs and positives are wonderful things in and of themselves. Clear Glass is extremely cheap - certainly cheaper than buying 5x7 sheet film
Old 24th July 2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Just a thought but you can get 2mm glass from a frame-maker's supplier if that is a better thickness.

On the Ilford/Harman tour they showed us their low-volume plate coater. As Martin says: a horizontal conveyor taking the plates under a coating head. IIRC the plates were then chilled by a cold-water bath just reaching the bottom of the plates as they continued on the conveyor before stacking and placing in a filtered chiller room to fully set.
Old 18th March 2016, 01:24 PM
Friend

Sorry to float again this thread.

I'm starting with the dry plate process, trying to understand the basics. Up to now, I've bought a Foma LE 250 ml bottle and some 4x5 glasses from a local supplier. My goal is to achieve enough mastering to expose portraits and landscapes negatives and, at a higher level, process plates as positives - but maybe I'm expecting too much...

Is someone else involved in this process?
Old 13th September 2016, 05:18 PM
Friend

Default Late Reply

Sorry to have missed this one… after 6 months you'll either have perfected the process or given up in disgust.

Anyway, making dry plates with that Fotospeed emulsion should work, but with the proviso that the contrast will probably be very high, possibly difficult to control, as it's a print emulsion. For the same reason the speed would also be very slow, down to the 1 ISO sort of level.

Then there's solving, or at least minimising the usual potential problems, uneven coverage, bubbles, difficulty in drying etc. That's why come the 1870's it all moved from hand coating to bulk manufacturing of plates. And the rise of Ilford, Kodak, & all the rest of the coating industry.
Old 20th September 2016, 01:17 PM
Friend

This is also a supplier of glass plates and other supplies:

http://www.wetplatesupplies.com/wetp...ubstrates.html

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies