Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st January 2017, 04:51 PM
Friend

I just used fingers and sharp scissors for the job I'm afraid but it seemed to do the trick!

+1 for the full set, most of the time not needed but annoying to not have for the times when you do.
Old 21st January 2017, 07:30 PM
Friend

Thanks for the recent responses. The filters will be for the under-the- lens set so avoidance of fingerprints is probably easiest by using cotton gloves and sharp scissors sounds fine as the cutting instrument. I can try out the scissors anyway on an old filter.

The corner idea sounds good - two cuts only. My old filters are 5.5cms square so there will be enough spare filter to hold as each is 8.9cms square. As far as marking the cut lines I think the favourite is a see-through plastic ruler on the edge and upside down at the 5.5 cms in from the top left corner and 5.5cms down the left edge. That way the ruler only touches the filter part that will be discarded.

By the way how is each filter numbered and as the filters are designed to fit into a filter drawer what stops them touching other parts of the drawer?

In the filter holder there are raised portions on the sides that keep the filter from contacting anything once it is in the holder but I am curious about the situation in a drawer. If each filter simply sits in the drawer then maybe they are not as delicate as I assume them to be?

Thanks

Mike
Old 21st January 2017, 08:45 PM
Friend

They usually just sit flat, held by a narrow margin of metal or plastic on each edge. Numbers are printed on a corner of each filter. One way of measuring might be to hold the old filter on top of the new one, and lined up with a corner, then make the two cuts.
Alex
Old 21st January 2017, 10:24 PM
Friend

Thanks for the info on numbers and good thinking on the measuring, Alex. I might be able to hold the old filter close enough to mark a dot on the new filter for the line cut and if not then laying the old filter gently on the new filter for a second or so while I make the dot should not harm the new one

Mike
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:12 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Morning Mike, I bought my sets of gels at a Focus on Imaging show a number of years ago. Just to upset you (sorry) they were selling a pack of full range (00 - 5 including halves) filters in the large size (15cm square I think) for £5. I bought a couple. I cut my replacement filters from those, as others have said, by lining up the old filter gel with one corner and useing scissors. Just remember that as the holders are numbered cut at the furthest edge from the number so that the bit you are left with retains the number.

Best of luck,

Bill
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:15 PM
Friend

I'm sure I have posted this before but I replaced my old MG Filter set after about 15+ years.

I had been having difficulty getting the hard grades (3.5, 4, 4.5 & 5) to print properly.

When I switched to the new set, I could not believe the difference it made.

Interestingly, Ilford say of their Gel Filter sets, that they have an expected life of about 10 years.

I was originally sceptical of their claim but after my experience I will be keeping a closer eye on them in the future.

So, if you are not sure if you need a new set of filters, try printing the same Neg on G3,5, G4, G4.5 and G5

There should be a significant and progressive difference, with G5 looking like "Soot and Chalk"

If not, then its time to invest in some new filters.

Martin
Old 22nd January 2017, 07:22 PM
Friend

Thanks Bill and Martin. Martin , yes, my problem is with exactly the same filters as you had the problem with, namely the hard end of the range which is strange. You'd expect these to be the least used unless the previous user was printing mostly at grade 4-5. The grade 4 filter is in fact practically clear and the 4.5 and 5 look a little strange as well. I am unsure about the rest but as they are MGII filters then it is time to consign them all to the bin.

I got the whole set for free if I remember correctly from one of our friends here on FADU for which I am very grateful.

Mike
Old 16th October 2019, 02:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Morning Mike, I bought my sets of gels at a Focus on Imaging show a number of years ago. Just to upset you (sorry) they were selling a pack of full range (00 - 5 including halves) filters in the large size (15cm square I think) for £5.

Bill
As a side note, the label on mine, says, 'PERCIVALS £9.20', so I'd dread to think how old mine are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I got the whole set for free if I remember correctly from one of our friends here on FADU for which I am very grateful.

Mike
= Better than my price for a new set above, but I was shocked how much a new set costs now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
I'm sure I have posted this before but I replaced my old MG Filter set after about 15+ years.

I had been having difficulty getting the hard grades (3.5, 4, 4.5 & 5) to print properly.

When I switched to the new set, I could not believe the difference it made.

Interestingly, Ilford say of their Gel Filter sets, that they have an expected life of about 10 years.

So, if you are not sure if you need a new set of filters, try printing the same Neg on G3,5, G4, G4.5 and G5

There should be a significant and progressive difference, with G5 looking like "Soot and Chalk"

If not, then its time to invest in some new filters.

Martin
Anyway, I was given the link for this thread, as I asked if it was possible to exchange below the lens filters with the plain sheet filters.

Some good points are made, with the one just above by Martin, made me think about the subject even more. If I get time today or Friday, I think that I'll do the 'grade test' that he suggests.

But returning to the original question, I asked if one could cut the larger filter sheets down to size and replace them in the 'under the lens' filter holders?

It appears you can, from reading the thread.

BUT, I've ummed and arred about doing the above, but with my sometimes trembling fingers, I think if I do get new filters, it will have to be a complete new set of 'under the lens' ones. It will cost more but if I make a boo-boo on trying to cut them, then the saving would be lost, which I wouldn't be too happy about!!!

So, thoughts over and I really posted this to resurrect this thread, as the need to replace filters will come to all of us, sooner or later, especially as it's pointed out above, that Ilford recommends replacing them about every ten years...

Terry S

PS Excuse the over use (even by my standard) of the use of emojis, but I have been watching 'The Circle' on channel 4, where 'contestants' in a game show, all have to communicate with text and emojis, and I think it's rubbed off on me a little.

I've also learned a lot of new acronyms, which I might put into messages here and there.
Old 17th October 2019, 08:35 PM
Friend

Full set. Rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.....
Old 18th October 2019, 12:52 PM
Friend

I had thought of buying a set and cutting them to size and replacing the necessary ones in the range but weighing it all up, I think that I too will get a full new set of 'under the lens' filters.

As they seem okay up to g3 1/2, of which I go no more than, I'll wait until the next 10% off day, from anyone really, as that should make them cheaper than anyone else!

I'll probably also get some more 10x8 RC and some other paper to try along with some chemicals = so come on sponsors, you have a willing customer willing to part with a good wad of dosh!!! I'm watching my in box right now!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies