Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th December 2021, 11:50 PM
Friend

How good is this exchange?

My prints from Uwe's negative are in the wash, so I have some time to reflect before putting them up to dry.
My first thought was this will be a pretty east print to make. I made a Grade 2 and-a-half work print when I received the negative and reckoned it wasn't far off.
The image I sent to Uwe was, by contrast, a pig (Sorry, Uwe).
However, I've ended up spending more time and paper on his negative than on my own.
Why? You'll all see them soon, but Uwe's image is an exercise in subtlety. I actually doubt if I would have taken this photograph, but Uwe both saw it and found a workable composition. My own photographs tend towards the opposite position. More contrast, deeper blacks, just 'louder' in tone.
The print I'm working towards needs some work yet, and I already know it will end up being something I would never ordinarily do.
This must be the best thing about the exchange. Not only being faced with a negative nothing like your own, but having to ask if you've fallen into a habit of just doing the same thing over and over again.
Old 18th December 2021, 10:41 AM
Friend

Dear Colin, you are right. The low contrast (it was in the scene and not in the film itself) was one of the problems with that shot.
Old 18th December 2021, 01:16 PM
Friend

Skellum and Uwe, I'm a little confused...

The first print uploaded by Skellum, states, 'This is the first print from the negative I sent to Uwe.' So is this the ACTUAL FINAL print sent to Uwe in a 'sealed bag', along with your negative Skellum, or was there more than one print that you made and sent in the 'bag'?

The second print, uploaded by Uwe, states, 'This is the original print from Skellum'. So is this a second print sent by you Skellum or is this Uwe's version?

Also, both prints say that they are printed on RC but there is no mention of toning. I mention this, for on my monitor at least, there is a very heavy sepia tone to both of them?

I'm a little confused!?

Terry S

P.S. Re-reading the text under the two prints again, I think... that both prints were sent from Skellum to Uwe, with each of them uploading one of the prints each(?)

The second print (by Skellum) is the final one that he made and we are now awaiting Uwe's print to arrive at Skellum's, before it is uploaded(?)

That just leaves the colour of the prints(?)

End of edit.

Last edited by Terry S; 18th December 2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 18th December 2021, 02:17 PM
Friend

The print uploaded form Colin was the first print he made form the negative. I did not get that. Collin made another (better) print which I got. I uploaded that. AT least this print is sepia toned.

There is no print yet from me. I wait until Colin got my mail. I used a different paper and you will notice a different hue al least. I hope you see some differences more: )
Old 18th December 2021, 02:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Pilz View Post
There is no print yet from me. I wait until Colin got my mail.
Thanks for the quick reply Uwe. Just before I turn the computer off for the day.

Terry S
Old 19th December 2021, 04:07 PM
Friend

Rob Archer: Just to let you, and other participants, know, that I printed up your negative yesterday, (Saturday 18 December 2021), in my very chilly, outdoor darkroom (a wooden cabin at the end of the garden).

I thought it might take me a lot longer, but I'm very happy with my end result.

I don't think I will be able to get it to you by Christmas day, so call it a belated Christmas present.

And I'm finding it hard to not say too much, but of all the ways we could have cropped the 35mm neg, you'll be surprised to see how similar a crop we chose!!!

I will comment on your prints in a letter, which I will send to you with the print that I have made of your negative, and will then comment again, on the forum, when you have received it all. In the mean time, I will scan all the prints ready to go in the gallery.

Terry S
Old 19th December 2021, 09:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Rob Archer: Just to let you, and other participants, know, that I printed up your negative yesterday, (Saturday 18 December 2021), in my very chilly, outdoor darkroom (a wooden cabin at the end of the garden).

I thought it might take me a lot longer, but I'm very happy with my end result.

I don't think I will be able to get it to you by Christmas day, so call it a belated Christmas present.

And I'm finding it hard to not say too much, but of all the ways we could have cropped the 35mm neg, you'll be surprised to see how similar a crop we chose!!!

I will comment on your prints in a letter, which I will send to you with the print that I have made of your negative, and will then comment again, on the forum, when you have received it all. In the mean time, I will scan all the prints ready to go in the gallery.

Terry S
I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done Terry! I'll be printing yours early in the new year.
Old 28th December 2021, 12:52 PM
Friend

Received from Uwe, his version of my negative.
We seem to have ended up with similar images by different paths but I won't say too much until Uwe's image is in the gallery.

Uwe, do you have a scan ready to post or shall I scan and add to the gallery?
Old 28th December 2021, 05:32 PM
Friend

My version of "figures on the beach" is in the gallery.
Old 29th December 2021, 12:46 PM
Friend

Just a quick post to confirm receipt of Bob’s negative and print. It looks suitably challenging, and I’m looking forward to making a start on it.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies