Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th September 2021, 11:42 AM
Friend

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233671925085
Not the item I was looking for, but I have seen plenty of adverts for unexposed glass plates on ebay, opened and exposed.

Big but though.
The question was about what to do with an exposed box of paper.

Time for us to get back on topic methinks.

Cheers.
Old 13th September 2021, 06:20 PM
Friend

From time to time, once a few years, I switch on the light n the darkroom with the paper box open. Mostly, only a few sheets are total unusable. All of the batch has dark edges, but is useable. Try this!

Last edited by Uwe Pilz; 13th September 2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 1st August 2022, 12:28 PM
Friend

Default @Martin Aislabie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
I have a bit of a problem.

Yesterday I received a delivery from Silverprint of a few boxes of Ilford Cooltone 11X14 RC Paper.

Unfortunately is was delivered in a bundle of stuff to one of my near neighbours who opened one of the boxes of paper to see what it was, before she checked the address on the box

Any ideas what you can use an exposed box of paper for ?

It's not the end of the world, I ruin lots of sheets of paper by printing my photographs on them

Martin
@Martin Aislabie: I came back across this thread whilst looking for something else and I just wondered if you got anything in way of compensation in the end? Oh, and do you still say 'Hello' to your neighbour in question?...

Also to update my posts. I had a very long set of posts with eBay, who at the end found IN FAVOUR(!!!) of THE SELLER(!!!???), so wouldn't refund be. My next step would have been the Small Claims Court, so I contacted the seller again (months later), who came across as a totally different person and said that he didn't understand why eBay had found in his favour and refunded me the full amount, plus p/p, the following day(?!?!?) I was left drained, totally confused but happy to get my money back. I should also point out that with a few other problems over the years, eBay / Paypal have immediately refunded me.

Terry S
Old 2nd August 2022, 03:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
@Martin Aislabie: I came back across this thread whilst looking for something else and I just wondered if you got anything in way of compensation in the end? Oh, and do you still say 'Hello' to your neighbour in question?...

Terry S
Hi Terry

I never bothered trying to get any money back off them.

I accepted it was an accident and the neighbours acted in good faith.

Looking at it in the long run, being on friendly terms with your neighbours is worth far more than any single £60 box of paper.

I still have it sitting there in the bottom of a cupboard in the darkroom and I'm wondering, if I leave it several years will the latent image of the exposed paper fade to make it usable once again - even if it is only part of the box.

Martin
Old 2nd August 2022, 05:10 PM
Friend

If you've got good neighbours, you've made a good point Martin, though I would have thought the courier would be liable?

As for using the paper in the future, I did an experiment with some that had been exposed to light. I can't remember the length of time I left it for, without checking, but it was only a few months if I'm correct and the paper seemed totally usable again. I'll see if I can find the post for you.

Terry S
Old 3rd August 2022, 03:59 AM
Friend

This makes me sad to suggest, but the paper base itself can serve as support for Carbon Transfer prints.
I feel your pain - the Ilford Cooltone RC in 11x14 is pretty close to my favorite.
Old 3rd August 2022, 07:38 AM
Friend

What I do with duff paper (usually bought too cheaply on ebay, one takes a chance) is fix out the silver and use the plain paper for various art ideas I do. An advantage of photographic paper is that you can use artists oil paints directly on the emulsion side without needing a primer barrier and if using water soluble colours on RC papers it will dry flat.
Old 3rd August 2022, 08:40 AM
Friend

Old / slightly exposed paper can often be used with Lumens. If you've not tried them give it a go - great fun fun out in the sun with a bottle wine making Lumens :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:08 AM
Friend

I have had this but did it to myself when I dropped a box of paper on the floor spilling the paper never moved so fast in my life. to gather it up.
I found that not all of the paper was fogged just some and not the whole way across. It is a case of using it till you find the good ones.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th August 2022, 08:06 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
If you've got good neighbours, you've made a good point Martin, though I would have thought the courier would be liable?
Terry S
My thoughts would be; irrespective if they were good neighbours or not, they opened a parcel not addressed to them and then opened the inner box causing the contents to be useless.

Someone somewhere has to pick up the tab and if they are refusing to reimburse you I don't think they are as good a neighbour as you could expect.

The courier has some responsibility by leaving at the wrong address . compounded by your neighbour. You are being very forgiving towards your neighbour but you have to draw a line at some point
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies