Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd October 2017, 04:10 PM
Friend

Default My latest 'Treasure' !!

I met an Old Couple in Weald Country Park about a year ago and they commented on me using an 'Old Camera' -- one of my Classics so the Gent said he had some Old Cameras I could have if I was interested -- a YEAR LATER he telephoned !! He said he had 'looked out ' some gear -- so i rushed there and he had several cases and a cardboard box --all very dusty but inside were many cameras including a filthy case inside of which was a Minolta Autocord 1955 model with 'Optiper MXS shutter and 'Chiyoko Rokkor' lens ! As I cleaned the case with damp cloth it fell to bits and when I looked into the viewfinder all I could see was a 'Milky Haze' . So out came my JIS Screwdrivers and took off the focus hood and looked inside -- the mirror was all 'milky' and there was half the Sahara Desert in the corners ! I cleaned mirror and rear lens surface with lens fluid and tissues and front surfaces and wiped over leather panels with Neatsfoot Oil and it all looked like NEW ! TEST photos show lens is very sharp at full aperture and excellent B&W and Colour rendering.
I did a VIDEO about it -- you can see it here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJCIqzBsgGM
Old 23rd October 2017, 04:46 PM
Friend

You lucky devil, the autocords were very good cameras indeed, great lenses, The only weakness is the focusing lever, I would suggest that you treat that lever with great care as the can break very easily, Talking about luck, someone at my Classic vehicle club gave me a bag full of cameras that they wanted to be rid off, amongs't which was a Ensign Commando,with the Ensar lens and a Epsilon shutter, looks barely used and working beautifully, and a Zeiss Ikon Contessawith the Zeiss Opton Tessar lens and compur rapid shutter again in near perfect condition, all they needed was a dusting,
Richard
Old 23rd October 2017, 07:45 PM
Friend

Pete you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge on all things photography ,that's what's great about FADU ,all the knowledge you will ever need about proper photography all in the one place .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 24th October 2017, 07:00 PM
Friend

Great find Pete, you lucky devil! I picked up an Autocord LMX model last year, but have only put a couple of films through it. What a lens! Just terrific. Very sharp, and a wonderful smooth tonality to the images. People talk about 3-dimensionality of some lenses, which may or may not be a real thing, but if any lens has it it's the Autocord's Rokkor. Mine needs new leather, which I will do soon. Worth it though - this camera is a keeper.

Enjoy!
Svend
Old 25th October 2017, 02:25 AM
Friend

I have an Autocord of the same vintage, an excellent camera. Enjoy it! My focus lever was already broken but I learned to focus with the stub anyway.
Old 25th October 2017, 02:49 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulioF View Post
I have an Autocord of the same vintage, an excellent camera. Enjoy it! My focus lever was already broken but I learned to focus with the stub anyway.
Maybe this one will fit:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/VH...ir-restoration

Pretty cool, eh? 21st century tech meets vintage camera.

BTW Pete, to avoid breaking your focus lever, make sure to never open the film back with the lever in the half-way position. The lever gets in the way of the door and will snap off. Always have the lever all the way to the right or left where it's out of the way.
Old 28th October 2017, 03:32 PM
Friend

Thanks for the tip. I think my Autocord cost half the price of this focus stub for it. Mysteries of the economy.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:29 PM
Friend

I have checked and lever is fully over to the right ! Thanks for that tip!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies