Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th October 2017, 10:40 AM
Friend

Default Import Duties after Brexit

When we have left the EU do you see any change with regard to import duties? I am often tempted to buy cameras from America or Japan but the import taxes and high postage push up the prices too high for me. I have also seen on the net that Fuji Acros in 4x5 will no longer be available after 2019 is this old news? I do hope Fuji keep manufacturing their excellent range of films but if they keep pushing their prices up and up I won't buy them. Will Fuji price themselves out of the market and rely on people buying their digital cameras that are supposed to simulate Fuji films? Another concern will be the price of film imported from the EU, probably all good news for Ilford, I just hope Ilford don't hike up their prices anymore and take advantage of the Brexit "cluster duck". Pardon for the rant but the cost of my hobby seems to be getting more and more expensive.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:04 PM
Friend

Who knows, far too early to tell and that alone is the big problem everyone is facing right now, no certainty of intent let alone outcome.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:21 PM
Friend

Although we in Jersey are not members of the EU, only time will tell how much everything will change, if your PM gets the correct deal then it shouldn't be too bad, if there is no deal and there is the so called Hard brexit it will affect everyone, even Ilford, remember they get a lot of raw materials from within the EU, and, even though we are not members, if prices go up where you are then prices will rise for us as we get pretty much everything from the UK, at least in Jersey we will be spared any rises in your VAT,
Richard
Old 28th October 2017, 02:06 PM
Friend

It is difficult to see how we can expect to enjoy the benefits of the EU Customs Union at "no cost" so I am at a loss to work out how leaving will not have a cost unless we somehow reach a deal that allows all EU imports into the U.K. with no duty without there being reciprocation from the EU in terms of U.K. goods into the EU so we remain "members of the club" with no subscription cost .

As others have said there is no telling how things will look post Brexit. Like all other major events in history the only likely safe bet is to say that things will turn out a little differently that any of the best pundits can predict as of right now.

Mike
Old 30th October 2017, 07:46 PM
Friend

Concerning import duties, I find that buying directly special items in the country of production is better than over local retailers, who add administrative costs. Therefore I buy Fuji slide roll films in Japan. But indeed, important duties are stupid and leaving a single market is not really clever either. Thinking about my standard paper, I have chosen now Adox instead of Ilford, though Ilford films will likely stay my favourites forever. Import duty is one thing and exchange rate another. The latter has changed significantly with the vote, reducing the purchasing power for imported goods in UK. Right after the plunge of the pound Linhof Studio had a banner saying that online prices are not anymore valid and had to be varified. This eems to have eased, we get used to everything. There is now a window of opportunity for people in other EU member states to profit of the low GBP with no duties yet until official exit. I purchased lately three items in the UK, which were for long on my wish list and now inexpensive in a certain way. Though my wife has another opinion on this. Frank
Old 31st October 2017, 11:29 AM
Friend

If we keep the status quo where goods are taxed in the country of purchase there will be little difference.

If that changes and we can make tax free purchases then WAT will be added at the point of entry with the now obligatory handling charges, raising costs.

Ian
Old 15th November 2017, 07:00 AM
Friend

Look at the tax that is applied from places like Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man if the good are above a certain value (I think it is about £18) I cannot see any reason why this should be any higher. That is based upon the clamp down by HMRC on companies called 7 day shop.com. Their business went into meltdown afterwards - are they still in business? I have not heard mention of them for several years.
Old 15th November 2017, 10:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Look at the tax that is applied from places like Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man if the good are above a certain value (I think it is about £18) I cannot see any reason why this should be any higher. That is based upon the clamp down by HMRC on companies called 7 day shop.com. Their business went into meltdown afterwards - are they still in business? I have not heard mention of them for several years.
Yes, 7dayshop are going strong I recently purchased some film from them, it was posted from the Netherlands. Kodak Porta 120 is sold for a very good price, they sometimes sell film that is near to its expiry date on Ebay. Some people buy expired film on Ebay for more than it would cost new from our sponsors. Perhaps the trick is to sell some goods cheap on Ebay to lure you in. Back to the import tax, if I was to go on holiday to New York or Tokyo and buy let's say a Mamiya 7 or a Leica how is the import duty calculated is it on purchase price or 2nd hand value? Or is it worth the risk of just bringing it back with some used film in your bag and thinking well if our super rich can get away without paying their taxes...?
Old 15th November 2017, 10:35 AM
Friend

When the HMRC changed the LVCR from the channel islands all of the fullfilment such as 7dayshop and many others all upped sticks and moved to where they could still ship to the UK VAT free, which is still a very sore point here, we would not have minded if all shipping above £15 would attract UK Vat, but many of the firms are still doing what they did, and many people were put out of work,
Richard
Old 15th November 2017, 10:59 AM
Friend

Let me clarify the current situation. I have practical experience of this from my business and personal purchases from around the world.

Currently, if you personally buy goods from Europe, 19% VAT is included in the price by the supplier.

If you buy from anywhere else, our own VAT at 20% may be added to the Purchase Price (note; not the original value) by Customs . There is no 'Duty' payable on photographic materials. VAT on these imports is collected by Royal Mail (or other courier) plus, not unreasonably, a handling charge.

Personally I suspect that when we read about price rises due to Brexit, we are being ripped off. My business suppliers in Europe have maintained almost stable prices for the past four years.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies