Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th March 2022, 12:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteK View Post
OK, he got in touch but hasn't replied to my last two emails. Also the two numbers on his website are not recognised. Alarm bells are starting to jingle. Do you know if they are a) still up and running and b) just a little one man band. I have had lots of bad luck in my pursuit of a yashica mat and I really don't want any more

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
I do believe he is a one man band so may be involved with He was working a month ago when I enquired about servicing a Nikon 35/70.

I have just rung him again on a mobile number 07436 791736 and he answered within 10 seconds so yes he is still in business. It looks as if the number on his website is no longer being used. I think he is still worth it.

Last edited by John King; 28th March 2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 28th March 2022, 02:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I do believe he is a one man band so may be involved with He was working a month ago when I enquired about servicing a Nikon 35/70.

I have just rung him again on a mobile number 07436 791736 and he answered within 10 seconds so yes he is still in business. It looks as if the number on his website is no longer being used. I think he is still worth it.
I rang, he answered, lovely fella, parcel posted thanks for this I will keep you informed as to how it goes

Old 30th March 2022, 07:20 AM
Friend

I posted the camera on Monday, he started working on it on tuesday, will finish it today and by tomorrow (Thurs) it will be back in my hands. A full service for £65 + postage. That is incredible! He said it was one of the best Mats he had ever seen, it just needed relubricating and the hazy lenses cleaning. I will report once I have it back and tested.

Old 30th March 2022, 05:25 PM
Friend

Great to hear Pete. Your camera will literally be like new after this. What a find. Enjoy!
Old 30th March 2022, 06:23 PM
Friend

You seem to have adopted the same views of the camera workshop as I did years ago. I am sure that you will not be disappointed.
Old 31st March 2022, 05:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
You seem to have adopted the same views of the camera workshop as I did years ago. I am sure that you will not be disappointed.
I am already lining up his next jobs, a CLA'd MX that doesn't like the cold and an 18blade Tair11A that won't stop down past f8. Thank you so much for this recommendation.

Old 2nd April 2022, 09:17 AM
Friend

Quote:
I can't report on the camera yet. He sent it back using the wrong service. He sent it first class signed for as opposed to how I sent it, special delivery! It is three days late. If it doesn't turn up I am facing a total loss as royal mail will refuse the claim. I run post offices and have for 35 years. As soon as he said "signed for" my heart sank! All for the sake of a couple of quit!

Old 2nd April 2022, 10:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteK View Post
I can't report on the camera yet. He sent it back using the wrong service. He sent it first class signed for as opposed to how I sent it, special delivery! It is three days late. If it doesn't turn up I am facing a total loss as royal mail will refuse the claim. I run post offices and have for 35 years. As soon as he said "signed for" my heart sank! All for the sake of a couple of quit!
Why will they refuse the claim? If it was the signed for service and it hasn't been signed for, then they have not fulfilled their contract. Did you asked for it to be sent Special Delivery, if so find out why he didn't do as you asked?
Old 2nd April 2022, 11:23 AM
Friend

There is no actual signed for service since the start of the pandemic, and the tracked Special Delivery often only shows collection, then delivery and nothing in between.

The items are just delivered, sometimes left on the doorstep, but no company actually wants a signature, at the moment.

MyHermes drivers take a phone photo as proof of delivery, as they had a high level of fraudulent claims of items not being delivered.

Round here some areas only get post delivered 3 or 4 days a week as a high number of postmen were off with Covid, and parcels were being delivered last Sunday. One part of the town had no post for two weeks a couple of months ago.

Ian
Old 2nd April 2022, 06:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Why will they refuse the claim? If it was the signed for service and it hasn't been signed for, then they have not fulfilled their contract. Did you asked for it to be sent Special Delivery, if so find out why he didn't do as you asked?
Royal mail claim that signed for is for items worth less than £50 anything worth more must be sent special to qualify for compensation. Signed for isn't secure. Its a way they get out of paying, the devil being in the detail. I have been working for and in post offices for 37 years as both a clerk and as a classroom trainer. Customers generally have a service in mind. We ask the questions to make sure the customer gets what they actually need (and to sell special delivery lol). The likelihood is Dave has never been let down by signed for and the office he uses don't advise customers. Under the old prices there was only £1 difference between first class medium signed over 1kg and special, but if the clerk doesn't point it out.... When Dave said he would post it today and I would have it tomorrow I assumed it was special so I didn't ask! I really wish I had signed for is a good service. Very few go missing and there is still time for it to turn up, but if it doesn't, then we have a big problem.

Re. Signed for, royal mail are going back to getting signatures. They are however very short staffed thanks to covid and that is causing delays (I popped in to royal mail and had a chat)

Last edited by PeteK; 2nd April 2022 at 06:45 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies