Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th June 2022, 07:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Haithwa View Post
The SV was my first SLR camera, bought new in Singapore in 1966 and I loved it until I was seduced by the laterst cameras with TTl metering etc, but what is sat on the shelf above my head? yup, another SV c/w clip-on lightmeter. I've had it serviced and it is now silky-smooth and without a doubt the quietest SLR I've ever owned.
A real piece of usable history.

When I submitted my panel for my ARPS in 1993 most of the images were taken on a Pentax Spotmatic, the grandson of the SV. The meter wasn't very accurate in real life, but really worked very well with my Weston Master V when comparing the two meters using plain grass as the subject. The Weston was always more accurate especially in the incident light mode. Plus the prime Pentax SMC lenses were outstanding

Really do I/we need anything else? Modern all singing/dancing digitals and the later film cameras are all very well, but there are so many little tweaks and mini programmes that can be used, once you start fiddling with them, you can easily forget where you started off. You have to have the memory of an elephant to store the functions in your head.

My modern equivalent is my Bronica SQa and Minolta Autometer 2, (with the incident light feature) so simple but so heavy!
Old 30th June 2022, 07:31 AM
Friend

Like you John, i'm of an age and stage in life where i can afford almost any photographic item i desire.

Most of us will have more cameras than we really need, but for me, the limiting factor is time (and weather) to go out and practice. The weight of the 5x4 outfit can get in the way at times when the subject is off the beaten track.

I've toyed with the idea of ditching all the 35mm, 120 kit i have, but when i pick up an F2 or 500CM, then memories of lusting after this equipment come flooding back to a time when i could only dream of owning such objects......and i put them back in the cupboard again.
I know they're not worth much money, but the memories they hold are priceless.

Mike
Old 30th June 2022, 10:27 AM
Friend

I am quite impervious to the latest camera/gadget/widget advertising - by the simple fact I don't read any photo magazines.

I have come to recognise that the limiting factor in my photography is me (unsurprisingly).

I now only look for additional widgets when I have worked out there is a gap in my armoury of stuff.

Having said all that there was a splendid looking OM3Ti on eBay over the weekend, which sorely tempted me - but I didn't bid and it went for about 50% more than I thought it would.

So, I'm not totally immune to the lure of new stuff - however hard I try.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies