Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th June 2022, 06:28 AM
Friend

Default Half Frame film

I've recently acquired an Olympus Pen F with a 38mm 1.8 lens. Shot a roll of Porta 400 with it and now looking to use black and white.
I'm obviously after the finest grain owing to the HF format so could anyone recommend a film/developer combination that would give the best possible results?
I dont expect to achieve the same quality as full frame but having double the shots on a roll and the cost saving is certainly attractive. Thankyou
Old 14th June 2022, 07:59 AM
Friend

Default Half Frame

Every one will have there own preference, plus there will be some that claim such and such a film will be better when used with such and such developer. Largely I think this is down to the individual though.

For sharpness unless you want to make over 9.5x12 prints (and I have seen them made up to 12x16). You can do worse than use Ilford 100 Delta or Kodak 100 T Max. Ilford Pan F will be marginally sharper with finer grain but this has a reputation of fading if not developed fairly quickly after exposure, however that is something I have not yet experienced
You could also try the Ilford XP2 400iso chromogenic film which has finer grain than Tmax or Delta, but is probably not as sharp. Plus it will have to be developed as a C41 colour film.

the developer will be a personal choice. A 'high acutance' developer will give an 'apparent' sharpness and bite, but at the expense of increased grain. Some say that the former Agfa Rodinal high acutance developer will give fine grain as well, but according to the original Agfa literature - it won't. That is my experience too.

For fine grain, the way a fine grain developer works is to slightly dissolve the edges of the individual grains which also stops the acutance effect of the likes of Rodinal and with big enlargements this will show. For the best of both worlds you could do worse than using Ilford ID11 or Kodak D76 - they are a safe option which will restrain the 'grain dissolving' effect and at the optional 1-3 dilution some say that will tend to have a slight acutance effect without affecting the grain. It also has a long life once made up. Some ID11 I made up just over a year ago (April 2021) is still as good as the day it was made and clear as crystal with no discolouration or sediment.

As I said at the start there will be others with their preference so I can only suggest what I have found.

Last edited by John King; 14th June 2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 14th June 2022, 04:35 PM
Friend

I've had very good results with half-frame. I think one has to accept the limitations of the small negative and look at strong compositions that won't be diminished by grain or a slightly softer image. I rarely print half-frame bigger than 5x7ins. Some of my recent attempts with a Konica Eye 2 and Fuji Drive (remarkable little camera!).http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hp?albumid=582
Old 17th June 2022, 12:39 AM
Friend

I have had good results in half frame with 100TMax and PanF+, both in Beutler. As said above, just a personal preference.
Old 18th June 2022, 06:19 AM
Friend

Thankyou all for your advice. I'll try your suggestions and see how things turn out. The point about Pan F is well taken as I have shot this film before and left it in the camera too long with poor results when processed.
Old 18th June 2022, 07:50 AM
Friend

Default Beutler Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulioF View Post
I have had good results in half frame with 100TMax and PanF+, both in Beutler. As said above, just a personal preference.
I have used Beutler developer before but it isn't available commercially in UK already made up. There are commercial variants but for what it is they are charging gold seal prices. It is probably as good as Rodinal with equally good results and shelf life and with the three components made up it really is quite cheap to make. The formula is:-

Willi Beutler's formula

Concentrate A
Water 400ml
Metol 5g
Sodium sulphite 25g
Water to make 500ml

Concentrate B
Water 400ml
Sodium carbonate (Anhd)* 25g
Water to make 500ml

*Concentrate B can also be made using 50g Kodalk made up to 500ml with water but there will be slightly less acutance.

• Make a working solution using 10:10:80
• Example to make 500ml of developer add 50ml A + 50ml B to 400ml water.

Developing times for Beutler:

ISO 25-50 films process for 5-10 minutes
ISO 64-125 films process for 7-10 minutes
ISO 400 films process for 9-12 minutes

• All at 20 degrees centigrade
• Agitation 10 seconds every minute

This is a developer to always have at hand as it does well with so many films. This is a very sharp, high acutance developer with compensating effects.

Last edited by John King; 18th June 2022 at 07:55 AM.
Old 18th June 2022, 03:27 PM
Friend

I'm using full-frame but anyway I get outstanding detail and sharpness with Delta 100 in Barry Thornton's 2-bath developer (which is close to Beutler). Not the best combo for atmosphere, however.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 25th June 2022, 11:30 PM
Friend

I mix my own Beutler solutions A and B, following the original formula, as per John King’s post above. Do not know about availability of chemicals in the UK. The expensive or difficult to obtain component would be Metol, also called Elon. The other chemicals are cheap and common.
Old 26th June 2022, 06:45 AM
Friend

Default Acutance V Grain

All the acutance developers that I know do tend to emphasise grain, Beutler, Rodinal, Neofin blue - there are others), that is the nature of the beast. Perhaps the best compromise would be Ilford ID11/Kodak D76 used at a 1-3 dilution. The extended development times do tend to give a slight gain in acutance whilst not loosing anything detectable in the grain stakes.

I for one would be interested in the results you achieve.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies