Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th October 2010, 03:50 PM
Friend

Default Light weight 6x6

Well my 10 year old daughter is quite a serious photographer (has been honing her skill with a dSLR for about 3 years and her one entry in an adult competition got her second place).
After seeing the Fay Godwin exhibition at the National Media Museum yesterday she wants to give film photography and in particular the nice square format a go. Now of the current collection I stuck the 6x4.5 mask in place in the Lubitel as it kept slipping and the Kiev 60 is built like a main battle tank and weights about the same! Any suggestions for a suitable camera, reasonably light and won't need a second mortgage to buy?
Old 27th October 2010, 03:58 PM
Friend

I have a feeling that light weight and second mortgage are inseparable. Have you considered a rangefinder folder, mind even those are quite weighty?

My experience suggests that the Rollei range contains the lighter 6x6’s, but then that second mortgage comes into view.
Old 27th October 2010, 04:20 PM
Friend

Why not an older folder,perhaps a nettar or a ikonta, or even, if you can find on ,a really old Bessa 66, they are pre war but capable of great results, and are smaller than many 35mm, try looking on www.collectablecameras.com I have bought all of my classic cameras from them,and if I ever have a problem with one,(It can happen with old cameras,) he always sorts the problem no fuss, and oftem has 6/6 that won't break the bank,Richard
Old 27th October 2010, 04:22 PM
Friend

The Yashica Mat 124 TLR 6x6 might be worth a look
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 27th October 2010, 04:29 PM
Friend

If you don't mind older cameras you can pick up older rolleis for under a £100, I have a Rolleiiflex Automat, from around 1954,for £79, and a rolleicord Va2 for £99, both working perfectly, I use them both,or if you look for them, a weltaflex, East German but from a old camera maker, now sadly gone, for between £30 to £40, in good condition,You have to use the red window, but thats no problem, and it takes great photos,I haved one and it is a great starter,Richard
Old 27th October 2010, 04:39 PM
Friend

I'm with Trevor, the Yashica Mat is a great 6x6 camera to start with. I have two and my 16 year old son is using one for his A level photography.

Paul

Arena Photographers
Old 27th October 2010, 04:45 PM
Friend

You could consider a Holga 120 which are cheap new and have a cult following. The lens produces interesting images that have a Holga stamp.

http://www.holgarama.com/holga-camer...a-120gtlr.html

Your daughter may even think of it as cool

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th October 2010, 04:45 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the suggestions, was guessing TLR was the way to go but good to know which the reliable users are.
Any thoughts on the MPP Microcord? Have spotted a couple of reaonably priced ones in my googling.
Thanks again
David
Old 27th October 2010, 05:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkt View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, was guessing TLR was the way to go but good to know which the reliable users are.
Any thoughts on the MPP Microcord? Have spotted a couple of reaonably priced ones in my googling.
Thanks again
David
I've never used one, but MPP were a respected manufacturer in the 1950's.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:48 PM
Friend

I like my Kiev 60 but I have to admit that even without the pentaprism it's no lightweight. I also have a Minolta Autocord, one of the many versions of the Rollei that appeared a few decades ago. The weight is similar to my Rolleiflex with Tessar lens. The Minolta lens is, I am told, a copy of the Tessar. Certainly, the results from it are very nearly as good.
The Minolta doesn't usually fetch the kind of price that a Rollei would, so I think it's well worth considering if you happen upon one that's in good condition.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies