Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th August 2011, 08:27 AM
Friend

Default the right number of cameras

(Borrowed shamelessly from a blog post about bicycle ownership)

Ever wondered how many cameras constitutes the right number to own?

It's hard to come up with a definitive number, but the simplest answer for most photographers is probably n+1, where n = the number of cameras currently owned. (Recognise this trait? ) The number that can be reasonably owned does have a limit though. In all but the rarest of cases, this number is d-1, where d = the number that will land you in the divorce courts.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Ever wondered how many cameras constitutes the right number to own?
I don't think there is a set amount of cameras you should own...........the more the merrier in my view.

Seriously though, even though I own several SLR's, they all get used regularly. I've always loved mechanical cameras and I'd say there are some models which will appeal to collectors rather than users. For example, there's a shop in London selling a Nikon FM2 Titanium for £1,200 - a beautiful looking camera no doubt, but I'd be very reluctant to part with that kind of money for what is essentially a normal FM2n internally.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post

Seriously though, even though I own several SLR's, they all get used regularly.
I've always tried to justify new purchases on the basis that they're working cameras. Technically they do all work, whether I have time to use them or not is another question...
Old 19th August 2011, 11:48 AM
Friend

http://www.howies.co.uk/product.php/4250/7/
Old 21st August 2011, 07:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Technically they do all work, whether I have time to use them or not is another question...
Ah, time! I'd gladly swap some cameras for enough of that!
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:01 AM
Friend

I recently decided to add the 5X7 format to what I shoot. I was hesitant so just utilized a reducing back for 8X10 KMV. After some initial success with the rig, I've been tempted to actually get a 5X7 camera. But I'm also thinking that reducing backs are a better direction. It may not be ideal for each format; but it is a flexible rig (eg, requires only lenses for the 8X10 that then could be used for shooting as small as 4X5).
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:45 AM
Friend

Except for commercial work, the answer has always been one camera with one lens (to which I could add one type of film, one type of developer, etc). I just find it easier to know how things will look when I photograph them. Mind you, I do not photograph a wide range of subject matter.

However, I think the real answer to the question is whatever lets you enjoy your photography the most.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:13 PM
Friend

if you are like me did not have much spare money when bringing up a family,and now there is just me and the trouble and strife, and at the moment can afford within reason to buy cameras I used to dream about. the problem is as you get old the memory start packing up ,and you find your self scratching your head and looking blankly at the camera and a roll of film ,I could not work out how to put the film in my bronica then I realised I was putting it in back to front thats the trouble you forget sequences of loading the film when you have not used that camera for a while. dsallen got it about right use one camera and really get to know it inside and out.
Old 22nd August 2011, 04:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHowk View Post
I recently decided to add the 5X7 format to what I shoot. I was hesitant so just utilized a reducing back for 8X10 KMV. After some initial success with the rig, I've been tempted to actually get a 5X7 camera. But I'm also thinking that reducing backs are a better direction. It may not be ideal for each format; but it is a flexible rig (eg, requires only lenses for the 8X10 that then could be used for shooting as small as 4X5).
Similar dilemma, but rather than go for yet another camera, I too had a 5x7 reducing back made for my 8x10 Ebony. I really like this format for just contact printing. Perhaps rather oddly I find 8x10 contacts a wee bit too big on occasions.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 4th September 2011, 04:32 PM
Friend

As ever, some interesting posts in reply to this thread.

Having got back into film photography over the last year or so, and being in a similar position financially to Big Paul, I've gone a bit over the top with gear, although most of it has been bought cheap, and some of it was actually given to me.

D.S. Allen has got a good point re. one camera and lens, though I'd say perhaps one system, at least for each format.

Like Big Paul, I got my Bronica out the other day, realised I'd forgotten how to load the backs, thought "sod it", and took the Mamiya out instead, which brings me (at long last) to my point.

I find the "best" gear is that which is easiest to use and carry, and that's what gets used the most.

I'm now concentrating on my Nikon FM which, which, as the person who sold me it rightly said, has everything you need and nothing you can't live without. Everything is there in front of you without having to plough through menus or multi-function buttons, and the body will slip into a pocket. In terms of compactness, it's basically a rangefinder with a pentaprism on it.

Similarly, with roll film, the Mamiya C220 TLR is simpler to use than the Bronica (taking the backs into account) and, paradoxically for something that uses two lenses instead of one, is lighter and more compact.

To conclude this ramble, go for whatever you find easiest to use that gives you the quality you want and stick to it. You'll use it more and therefore take more photographs with it, which is what it's all about.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies