Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2012, 12:47 PM
New User

Default Adox Silvermax 100 Film Test

First test of new Adox Silvermax 100 film:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/articles.php

Digitaltruth Photo
http://www.digitaltruth.com
Old 19th November 2012, 03:02 PM
Friend

Thanks for that Jon. In the cropped and blown up version I think I preferred the Rodinal combo( better edge effect on the roof slates, I think) but in the full picture the Silvermax dev might have the edge

I wonder how this compares to say Ilford D100 under the same test?

Mike
Old 19th March 2018, 01:59 PM
Friend

Hello, has anyone used Adox Silvermax? What are your thoughts and what developer did you use? Thank you for your input in advance, Norm.
Old 19th March 2018, 02:57 PM
Friend

I haven't Norm but I know that Brock from Online Darkroom wrote about his experience with it on his website.

Mike
Old 19th March 2018, 08:16 PM
Friend

Hi Norm,
I have used it regularly lately. It now comes also under the name of Adox Scala, because Adox finally was able to obtain the right to use this old brand. But I have only used it in order to get b/w-slides. Well, just to be a little positive every now and then. :-) The Silvermax is ideal for the old Scala reversal developement, which some labs still do. So no special info on normal treatment of the film by me, though I once develope a roll in Rodinal. Everything works somehow well in Rodinal, though. ;-)
Frank
Old 19th March 2018, 11:30 PM
Friend

PanFrank, did you use the original Scala? It was a really lovely film. I shot a few times for a bit of variety in club competitions. It looked good when projected alongside the more popular Kodachrome or Ektachromes. I don't know what I'd use it for these days though.
Old 20th March 2018, 09:44 AM
Friend

Default I'm a user!

Hi,

I have shot around 15 rolls of Silvermax and really love it. It has now become my slow film of choice for 35mm. I would say it really is best for high contrast sunny subjects (roll on summer!).

Initially I followed the recommended development routine but found I preferred a slightly longer development time - Silvermax developer 1:29 @ 20C for 12 rather than 11 mins with inversion agitation for the first minute and 1 inversion every 30 seconds thereafter. The negatives have a very clear base but they do curl slightly top to bottom (compared to Ilford stock which I find dries pretty flat).

At the moment I am on a hybrid workflow until I go to a full darkroom set up until later this year but will try and post a couple of developed and scanned files.

Most recently I also experimented with different EI, shooting from EI 100 to 320 but developing as normal. I was surprised with the results as they seem to hold up quite well when shot at EI 200. Attached is only an iPhone photo of the negs on a light table and a LR inverted contact, but you get the picture.

CMD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvermax_iphone_negative-1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvermax_iphone_PositiveContact-1.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	2841  
Old 20th March 2018, 10:13 AM
Friend

Default Some Silvermax example scans

I'm not sure the scans really show up that well but here goes. CMD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvermax_examples-1.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	2842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvermax_examples-2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	890.8 KB
ID:	2843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvermax_examples-3.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	772.5 KB
ID:	2844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvermax_examples-4.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	823.2 KB
ID:	2845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvermax_examples-5.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	962.3 KB
ID:	2846  

Old 20th March 2018, 10:45 AM
Friend

Is Adox Silvermax best developed in a solvent developer in order to "activate the silent reserve"?
"SILVERMAX developer has ben especially formulated for the SILVERMAX 21 film.
It is activating the silent reserve sleeping in each SILVERMAX 21 film by expanding the photographic capabilities of the film.

I have found some exellent information here http://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blog...film-developer From what I have read Silvermax should develop OK with 1+ 1 Ilford ID11 has anyone done this? Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 20th March 2018, 04:49 PM
Friend

Hi Skellum,
No, never used the old Scala. Adox is reviving some of the old Agfa products and this one seems to ge well. I decided to use my small format camera only for slides. I really love the colours of the Fuji Velvia and Provia. Then I found out about B/W slides and tried this for trips to towns. Nicely contrasty for this purpose.
Frank
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies