Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th December 2010, 05:56 PM
Friend

Arrow does diffuser structure show up in prints?

Hello Les,

I am using a DURST M601 enlarger, which I recently 'upgraded' with a CLS66 color head mainly to have a diffuse light source. When doing my first calibration of my new ZoneMaster II I noticed that the gray in the test stripes was uneven or foggy. I experimented and made several tests. The manual of the ZM II recommends to do the calibration at the smallest f-stop (here 22). Experimenting around I found that with f'8 the gray becomes almost even and at f'4 it is perfect. The only reason for this I can think of is that with the small f-stop the structure of the diffuser of the light mixing box just above the negative gets into focus and so shows up in the print. Do you think that is possible and is there a smart way around it, changing to a better diffuser for example?

Thanks in advance for your opinion
Cheers Klaus-G.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***