Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th March 2024, 08:48 PM
Friend

So exclusively focusing on the new enlarger probably would be the best engagement :-)

Best,
Reginald
Old 24th March 2024, 06:14 PM
Friend

This is a closer comparison, though I'm sure Reginald will still complain about the contrast not being the same ... ;o)
The Meopta ( diffuser ) print is on the left and the Durst ( condenser ) print on the right. The Meopta print was at 40M which is Grade 3. The Durst print was at G 1.5 using the Ilford filter.
There is still slightly more overall contrast on the condenser print, though I'm not sure it's as much as 1/2 a grade.
However there is significantly more local contrast. The tree ( centre-right ) shows much stronger, there is more gradation in the snow on the right, and there is sparkle on the snow crystals on the Durst print that doesn't show on the Meopta print. The big tree on the left is sharper.

Bearing in mind the subject of the thread, and going back to the original contact print, it's a slightly unsatisfactory comparison, because the contact print is quite soft and slightly over-exposed, it was probably done at G2 on the Meopta. However there is good texture on the snow on the right, so I think it would look more like the Durst print, if the contact print were printed a little stronger. I will check this next time I'm doing some small prints.
Old 25th March 2024, 11:44 AM
Friend

I'd be happy with either print when shown separately Mark, but next to each other, the Durst / condenser print on the right is the one I'd pick.

Terry S
Old 25th March 2024, 01:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
I'm sure Reginald will still complain about the contrast not being the same ... ;o)

Concerning contrast difference I will shut up, I promise :-)

But I could claim that the same negative coming out smooth with grade 3 but being so contrasty at grade 1,5 really is something.
Old 25th March 2024, 06:59 PM
Friend

It would be interesting to see the contact print alongside these, Mark, because otherwise the discussion seems to have become a comparison of condenser and diffuser enlargers. I don’t think there is any dispute about their differences. Very nice photo, by the way!

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 25th March 2024, 07:14 PM
Friend

Thanks.
Yes, it's on my list now for the next session !

I think I will add a comparison diagram of the cone angle of light reaching each point on the negative , for contact print, condenser
enlargement and diffuser enlargement. It just requires me to improve my optical model of the Durst condenser system, on the work computer - which is part-done.
Old 8th April 2024, 05:57 PM
Friend

Here is the contact print re-done using G1.5 from the Durst :

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies