Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th February 2011, 09:16 PM
Friend

Default Multiple shots

In my earlier years of photographic practice, I would take multiple shots to bracket for correct exposure. However, this eventually changed into same exposure, but multiple shots for small changes in composition. Do any FADU members empathise with this modus operandi?
Old 9th February 2011, 10:55 PM
Friend

Yes, especially with 35mm and rollfilm. I don't see much point in playing with exposure if you can't adjust development times accordingly. Therefore I tend to take full advantage of the portability of these formats and play with composition instead.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th February 2011, 09:03 AM
Friend

With 35mm I would always take 3 shots to allow for the possibility of getting problems with a negative, with 645 I took 2, but with 6/6 only ever 1, 12 shots per film I want to try and make every shot count,Richard
Old 11th February 2011, 12:18 AM
Friend

I always take 2 shots of the same subject whether it be 35mm or 120 roll film for both my 6x4.5 and 6x6 Bronica's.

Funny thing is with both my Nikon F5 & F90x I always shoot single frame from a tripod and hardly ever use the motodrive, seems a waste of a feature. Perhaps it is because all my subjects are static and not moving!
Old 11th February 2011, 07:31 PM
Friend

I have never bracketed apart for a small period of time when I started using film again after a break. I do sometimes recompose shots of the same subject.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 11th February 2011, 08:10 PM
Friend

Perhaps the relevance of the following quote is more relevant to this discussion. In particular the relevance to perspective, as zoom lenses seem to have destroyed how the general public understand this concept.

Our eye must constantly measure, evaluate. We alter our perspective by a slight bending of the knees; we convey the chance meeting of lines by a simple shifting of our heads a thousandth of an inch…. We compose almost at the same time we press the shutter, and in placing the camera closer or farther from the subject, we shape the details – taming or being tamed by them. - Henri Cartier-Bresson - on composition. "American Photo", September/October 1997, page: 76
Old 11th February 2011, 08:35 PM
Friend

I tend to be slack but do believe in using multiple filters for the same shot. I get ten shots and think of a roll as one or two different compositions. That makes it easy to file as well.

So if I have an interesting shot I tend to bracket one shot, but rarely for exposure, but rather three different F/stops. So that is three frames gone of ten. Then a green filter, followed by medium orange and onto another angle or photo oportunity. At least that is what I strive for as I'm getting a feel for both the lenses (five so far for the RZ) the three films I've settled on and my judgement on how colors react to film. The last one is the one I need to work on a lot!

But when I'm not in training myself mode, when I have something I really like ... it changes to just a decision about all of the above - but then I tend to use different backs to be able to do a crude N, N+,N-.

On the thought of bracketing the viewpoint - I don't do that very much. I tend to know from the viewfinder most of the time and also it is a case that often I am constrained to my angle/position by outside factors. If I had movements ... well, then I could be more free in where I put my tripod with respect the the best framing and move objects around with shift. When I shot more digital I had all the Nikon TS lenses and really appreciated the movements .... small as they were.

I'll let you know in a year or so how this all works out for me and how or if it changes. But I don't bemoan going through film. I look at it as every frame potentially giving me fifty times the cost of the frame in experience.
Old 11th February 2011, 09:06 PM
Friend

As I don't like choices I very rarely take more than one shot of a single scene. For every chosen view there could be untold variations. I go for one and that is it, the decision has been made and I rarely feel the need to take more of the same view making just slight adjustments, be it change of view-point, lens, etc.

With regard to bracketing of exposures, when using sheet film I take just the one, unless the lighting is of a difficult nature or reciprocity failure is heavily involved.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 11th February 2011, 09:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
As I don't like choices I very rarely take more than one shot of a single scene. For every chosen view there could be untold variations. I go for one and that is it, the decision has been made and I rarely feel the need to take more of the same view making just slight adjustments, be it change of view-point, lens, etc.

With regard to bracketing of exposures, when using sheet film I take just the one, unless the lighting is of a difficult nature or reciprocity failure is heavily involved.
Trevor, have you ever read Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel, translated from German by R. F. C. Hull? If you can’t find a copy I will be pleased to post you a photocopy, as I think you would appreciate it.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Trevor, have you ever read Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel, translated from German by R. F. C. Hull? If you can’t find a copy I will be pleased to post you a photocopy, as I think you would appreciate it.
Clive, I've been meaning to read that particular book for sometime. Minor White also recommended it to his students.

If I can't locate a copy I will take you up on your very kind offer.

I have read Laplace, "A Philosophical Essay on Probabilities", heavy going but some interesting sections. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philosophica...7461582&sr=1-3
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies