Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st March 2015, 06:22 PM
Friend

Default New user - Hi all! - with film processing probs..

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a issue that has cropped up twice now with FP4?

To cut things short, I've been developing films for litertally decades, seen lots of problems, but never this one. It's like a huge mottly grain, which I tried to identify, tried new developer, fixer, kept tighter temperature tolerances with washing water etc. etc. but three spoiled FP4 films later gave up. I wrote to Ilford.. Whilst awaiting their reply bought some rolls of Fuji Acros, processed them just like the FP4s and Bliss!

Ilford replied but weren't sure so I sent off my last FP4 from the 'bad?' batch. Ilford then returned a box with a selection of films, FP4, Delta 100 etc. Not long after I tried two of the FP4s they sent and perfect! I've written to Ilford several times since (to ask if they'd ascertained the problem with my films) but have not had a word back.

That was Feb. / March 2014. Several FP4s, three ancient out-of-date Jessops Pan 100s and even more Acros 100s later, all have come out perfectly. (Including the Jessops I down-rated to 25 ASA)

I processed an FP4 film today and oh no! The 'grain' problem is back again!! Surely this MUST be me but what am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Same camera and same processing equipment (though I am still keeping the tolerances for washing water much tighter) Developer is now ID11, it was Ilfosol 3 with the original issues...

I've attached a clipping from a studio shot back in March 14 to show the fault at its worse. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
March 14 bad.jpg  

Last edited by Tedward; 31st March 2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 1st April 2015, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Hi Ted,

Welcome to fadu. Your problem seems to me to be a processing fault? What developer temperature are you using? I suspect you will get an answer here.

ps I have moved your post to the Introductions section as it is more appropriate there as the Help section is for forum help.
Old 1st April 2015, 07:33 AM
Friend

Hi Barry - thanks for moving it to the right place!

I'd like to believe it is me, but just cannot put my finger on just what is wrong. Temp. is a very closely controlled 20 degrees for developer, fixer and washing water. Since first having this problem, I am now keeping all the filtered 'washing' water at 20 degrees. Seriously puzzled....

I initially thought is some form of reticulation due to temp. differences cracking the emulsion. I WAS using Ilfosol 3 when it first happened but am now on 1+0 ID11.

I did then wonder about film storage under a sink in the cold and if the marks were picked up there somehow???? That would account for the new rolls from Ilford and the Acros being perfect. BUT the old Jessops Pan 100 and quite a few colour films have been in the same cubby hole for about 10 years without a problem.

Chris
Old 1st April 2015, 09:27 AM
Friend

Hi Chris and welcome. Just a few observations rather than solutions at this stage

1. The problem seems confined to FP4

2. It seems strange that Ilford send you complimentary films which are OK but give no explanation of their findings on the suspect FP4

3. The issue has returned.

If you have had no problems with other films and if as seems likely you know what you are doing and are controlling the process variables within correct limits then all I can see are two possible explanations

A problem with FP4 has re-occurred or an intermittent problem with your water has re-occurred.

I'd certainly use the problem to re-contact Ilford, tell them and ask what conclusions they reached on the first problem.

If you have other films to develop that cannot wait and until you get the bottom of whether this is a tap water fault I'd be tempted to use de-ionised water.

I hope others have a better answer for you

Mike
Old 1st April 2015, 09:30 AM
Friend

I have had this problem once. I put it down to to vigorous agitation. I slowed my method down.

I also have something else at the back of mind that suggest a bad mix of developer?

I have not had the problem again. Sorry can not be more help.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 1st April 2015, 10:37 AM
Friend

Thanks for the two more comments.

Before I go onto those, it is interesting to note that I've found an identical 'problem' on the internet, with results that look exactly the same as mine are... Ilford again, but both using either FP4 and Pan 50. What is particularly interesting is that he had TWO rolls processed together in the same tank at the same time.. One came out perfect, but the other with the fault! Same chemicals, agitation and water. Weird don't you think? Suggestions centred around bubbles caused because of the rinse aid. I use 1ml of Ilfotol I've always used.

I was wondering about the water Mike, but would you mean to use the de-ionised with the developer only or for everything inc. washing?

When it first occurred I blamed my agitation (same as I've aways used, BUT changed to the prescribed Ilford method of initially 4 inversions then 2x per 30 secs afterwards so think this might be unlikely.. (I never rules anything out 100% though!)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Not sure if the link to the other identical problem can be pasted here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum246/...ver-strip.html
Old 1st April 2015, 11:05 AM
Friend

Sorry - it's me again - just another thought.

I made up a stock solution of Ilford ID11 film developer back in January. From this I successfully developed a Fuji Acros 100 in a 1+0 way - i.e 100% stock solution. I used more from this stock ( again 1+0 ) on 1st March for an old roll of Jessops Pan 100, another JP 100 on 10th. March and a third JP 100 on the 25th. March. All of these and the Acros have been perfect. All 1+0 as well. On the 31st March I developed the FP4, again 1+0 and the orignal problem re-occured.
Old 1st April 2015, 12:15 PM
Friend

Do you filter the developer as it goes into the tank ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st April 2015, 12:18 PM
Friend

Hi Chris (bit confused thought that your user name is Tedward though???...)

Have you tried developing TWO DIFFERENT branded films at the same time ie an FP4 and another branded film? Just a thought to try and help nail down your problem.

Terry S
Old 1st April 2015, 01:04 PM
Friend

Hi Neil,
No, that I haven't tried! Would that be filter paper in a funnel?

Terry,
Edward is my second name There are less Edwards's than Chris's in my experience!
No, I've never tried two together, maybe because I always process films as soon as possible after taking.

I am going to try an Ilford Delta 100 I have here in the next couple of days to see what happens. Mind you, unless the results exhibit the same 'fault' then this otherwise doesn't help me a great deal The trouble is that I'm beginning to lose trust in my whole setup, even after having been developing films for ages...

Tags
film developing issue, problems
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies