Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th April 2015, 05:06 PM
Friend

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it is residual wetting agent left in the developing tank causes the problem.

How Do I know? I have just processed a roll of film in a tank that I have not used in a long time. when I opened the lid there were bubbles in the top when it came to pouring the dev out. The negatives have a blotchy effect shown in the attached picture by Tedward. I have a recollection that the same thing happened when I was using PMK Pyro before I changed to ID11.

All chemicals were freshly mixed with tap water for this run of processing. I keep my fix and stop for twelve rolls then mix new.The developer used this time was RO9. By a process of elimination it points to the tank. Just to make sure I used another tank that has not had wetting agent in it for years and the neg's are OK. The film was FP4+

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th April 2015, 03:48 PM
Friend

Default blotchy negs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it is residual wetting agent left in the developing tank causes the problem.

How Do I know? I have just processed a roll of film in a tank that I have not used in a long time. when I opened the lid there were bubbles in the top when it came to pouring the dev out. The negatives have a blotchy effect shown in the attached picture by Tedward. I have a recollection that the same thing happened when I was using PMK Pyro before I changed to ID11.

All chemicals were freshly mixed with tap water for this run of processing. I keep my fix and stop for twelve rolls then mix new.The developer used this time was RO9. By a process of elimination it points to the tank. Just to make sure I used another tank that has not had wetting agent in it for years and the neg's are OK. The film was FP4+

Hi Mitch,

I'm intrigued! Did you post any scans of the negs' up onto your site as I'd love to see them? How nice it would be to find a simple solution. (I did a quick look but didn't see any)
Old 6th April 2015, 06:10 PM
Friend

Mitch may well have the solution here if your reel gets a regular soaking in wetting agent, especially if used generously and is then simply dried

Mike
Old 6th April 2015, 07:51 PM
Friend

It could be an answer, but why did it only happen to FP4, unless only FP4 was processed using that reel, also, I always use wetting agent, I never wash my reels, I have numerous patterson and Jobo reels and tanks, they are all treated the same, that is, I wash either using the Ilford method if I am in a hurry, or wash the film under running water, (I am not on a meter), final rinse in WA, hang film up to dry, and put reels and tanks to dry, and I have never had a problem with my films in all the years of processing
Richard
Old 7th April 2015, 05:38 PM
Friend

Sorry gents, after a second check of my negs it is also a roll of Fomapan 100 that was affected.

Thing that points me to the wetting agent is that I had a back log of film to process. So I pressed some old kit back in to use that had been used with wetting agent. I no long allow wetting agent in my tanks and the reels now soak in a bucket of water afterward to make sure they are clean. It is to much of a coincidence for it not to be wetting agent in this case.

I will post some scans of the prints I make from the affected negs. I'm put out that it has happened but I'm going to let it get in the way of printing them.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 7th April 2015, 05:55 PM
Friend

I feel we are slowly and surely getting to the point of having covered all possible causes and yet may not have got to the cause.

With wetting agent and at low dilutions the key might be how long does it stay active enough in its dried state on a reel to re-constitute itself when wet?

When I was in the habit of using it in a tank I had the occasional film stick when loading but never have I seen the effect posted by Tedward in any of my now maybe a hundred or more films processed

At the risk of repeating myself I'd be pressing Ilford for an answer, even sending it the offending negs

Mike
Old 8th April 2015, 12:51 PM
Friend

I always use wetting agent in my tanks, I never soak or wash my reels afterwards, simply put them to dry, I have never had a problem with any film, over the very many years and what must be many hundreds of Ilford,Kodak, Adox(When it was made) Fomapan or any other brand of film both 35mm and 120 I have used, so I simply can't see wetting agent being the cause of the problem, unless you perhaps use it at developer dilutions
Richard
Old 9th April 2015, 10:11 AM
Friend

Default Delta 100 this time...

Finished and developed that roll of Delta 100 yesterday. I think it is becoming a case of "can't see the wood from the trees" now as I seem to be seeing this 'defect' in a lot of film images on line as well!

The image I have attached here is from the Delta 100 roll I've just processed and I am sure I can see slight issues with the sky - or am I wrong?!!

Doing a quick search of FP4 images on-line, I'm pretty sure I've found a large proportion with a somewhat lesser 'grain' problem to that I've been having.

The following link is interesting.. but way OTT compared to mine:

http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00WIMh
Attached Thumbnails
GtCentral.jpg  
Old 9th April 2015, 04:56 PM
Friend

The guy in Flickr with the problem you link to seem to be a Mat Keniston whose one pic appears at the bottom of the page on Flickr and is a flower. I can't see any issue with his flower

I cannot look at your jpg to compare because it awaits approval presumably from a mod.

Mike
Old 9th April 2015, 08:29 PM
Friend

Hi Mike,
There was another 'photo at the top of that page that isn't there now that had some serious grain issues. I don't know what happened to it though... That's what I thought was interesting
This approval business is frustrating as I posted the 'photo early this morning. How long do these things take to be 'approved?'

Tags
film developing issue, problems
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies