Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd February 2017, 10:37 AM
Friend

Default Hello

My name is Mark and I live just outside Preston in Lancashire. My photographic journey really started with digital, although like most of the population I did have 35mm cameras when I was younger. My two main subjects are landscape and nature, and it was my interest in birdwatching that led to my interest in photography.

My approach has to be slightly modified as I have quite profound upper body nerve damage which impacts on my mobility, ability to carry any weight and, along with another repiatory condition, my breathing. The vast majority of my photographs are taken within 10 meters of my mobility scooter or car.

Recently I've got more and more interested in film photography both at 35mm and 120mm. I have just purchased my first medium format camera, a Bronica ETRSi, and really looking forward to using it much more. My 35mm cameras are the Canon EOS 5 and 1000fn, which I bought as I use Canon for digital and I can use the same lenses as my full frame. I also have an Olympus OM10 with the manual attachment, I got this with 5 lenses at what I consider a bargain and the more I use it the more I like it. I like to shoot all my photographs in manual as by "doing it" is my best way of learning.

I'm looking forward to doing my own developing as I feel this is a massive part of the organic approach film photography is, but as yet I haven't started. It is because of my ignorance around this and my limited knowledge of film that I requested membership of the forum. Thank you very much for adding me to the group and I'm sure I will have plenty of questions before long.

Thank you for reading this.
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Hi Mark and welcome aboard!

Developing B&W film should not be approached with too much trepidation. There is some small manual dexterity needed to load the film into the reel which takes a few tries in the light with a sacrificial film and then a few times more with your eyes closed or with the film in a changing bag before risking a film with images on it. Use of daylight tanks and a changing bag removes the need for a darkened room.

Then the actual developing is a matter of controlling time and temperature, of which only the developer stage needs to be as close as you can practically make it, but even then, a degree or three out or a few tens of seconds added or missed will not make much detectable difference in practice.

There are any number of videos on youtube or blog posts online that describe it all. Only after you have a few films under our belt do you need to start thinking about more detailed controls such as the type of developer or adjusting times.

Have fun, Bob.
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:11 PM
Friend

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

There are many members on here who have way more knowledge than me, and will be able to offer all the advice you will need.

So ask away, sit back and wait for the advice to flow.

Home developing is great fun, and with a little practice, results soon come.

Ian
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:17 PM
Friend

Hi Mark and welcome. I hope you enjoy the forum and your photographic exploits. I firmly believe good photographs are right there under our noses, so to speak, and only require imagination and skill (and practice!) to produce. Best of luck. Jake
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:37 PM
Friend

Hi Mark and welcome to FADU.

Mike
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:06 PM
Friend

Welcome to the forum Mark.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:25 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, Mark!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:13 PM
Friend

Thank you all for the very warm thank you and very sound advice. It is really appreciated.
Old 3rd February 2017, 05:38 AM
Friend

Hi Mark welcome from another living just outside Preston member.
If I can be of any practical help to assist you on the developing and printing journey I would be happy to oblige.
Richard
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:23 AM
Friend

hi mark and welcome to FADU..

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies