Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th June 2010, 11:06 PM
Friend

Default Bonjour, Hej and Hello : )

Hi,
For the past few weeks I've reading about film photography and looking some truly beautiful work. So being intrigued I googled and came across this forum so have been reading some of the posts with interest.

Being an enthusiastic amateur digital photographer I've found by reading few books and articles on film developing and film photography has greatly increased what little knowledge I had.

So here's the rub....NOW Im interested in testing the water with trying film photography and processing, so thought Id join this forum and see what happens.

Thanks for reading , and congrats on an interesting forum

Ori

PS My first question is I been tempted of buying a medium format Holga and a cheap (by some standards here!) darkroom kit just to have a go , any useful thoughts ? , bearing in mind im a VERY broke student and just want to give it a try initially

PPS Orinoco is actually nickname believe it or not : )
Old 19th June 2010, 11:57 PM
Friend

Welcome to the fold. Come on in, the water's fine. I've been tempted by the Holga, but I'm not sure there's room on the shelves.
Old 20th June 2010, 06:15 AM
Friend

Hi Ori, glad you found us. In what area do you live, there may be some one living near to you that can offer help to get you started?
Old 20th June 2010, 07:23 AM
Friend

Hi Orinoco, and welcome to FADU.

The Holga is well respected for it's distinctive simply constructed lens which can produce quite interesting images with the right subjects. They are also cheap and simple to use so are a good introduction to film photography. Several friends here also use old 120 folding cameras from the 50s / 60s to good effect which are very affordable - in some cases even cheaper than a Holga!

Whatever you decide keep asking away here if you need to check anything. I am sure you will receive all the help and encouragement you require.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th June 2010, 10:34 AM
Friend

Hi and welcome to FADU glad you found us. All I would say on the subject of film is give it a go, I have never regretted it and having done digi and film I definately get more pleasure from film and darkroom. It can be tried for a very small outlay and it's always magical to watch an image appear in the dev, beats watching an inkjet any day of the week.

Neil
Old 20th June 2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Welcome to fadu Ori.
Old 20th June 2010, 04:49 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome Ori. Glad to see that googling produces a link to FADU.

The way things are going you really can't go wrong with buying a simple darkroom kit. I appreciate your financial situation but if you decide that trad film and printing isn't for you and I'd be surprised if you do decide this, then you are likely to get as much for the stuff you have bought when you sell.

Mike
Old 20th June 2010, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard Ori.

It must be said that the Holga is a matter of taste. It's construction is deliberately full of technical faults in order to give what some consider interesting effects. If that is what you want then it's a good choice.

If you want something to give a more technically pure negative then something like one of the aforementioned 1950's folders will do a better job (as long as it's bellows are sound!). Just make sure it takes 120 film which is still readily available (a few use film formats that are no longer available or need modifying to use 120 film). You can find more modern Medium Format cameras on the used market for little more than the price of a Holga.

When you say "darkroom" do you mean for developing film or also for printing onto photographic paper? Printing takes a lot more equipment of course whereas film developing is relatively painless!

Have fun .
Old 21st June 2010, 01:33 PM
Friend

Thanks for the welcome,
Im currently living in the Cambridge area , Im quite a novice to all of this so its been an interesting time reading about some of the techniques in film photography. Ive been so intrigued over the last few weeks about film Ive been making a pin hole camera and wanting to try 35mm/medium format photography
I thought about the Holga simply because I thought it might be a cheap and (relatively) simple to use but if any of you can think of any alternatives that would be appreciated . I was actually interested in the film process and was looking to learn about film developing and photographic printing. I found a few introductory courses but its a bit difficult knowing which ones would suit having the little knowledge I have !

Ive looked into setting up a simple beginners darkroom to test the techniques, so Im really looking at the bare minimum needed to develop film initially to understand the techniques used and (hopefully) later on look to print on paper, although I suspect finances may mean I will be looking at doing that at at my uni(if i can track down their darkroom!) or a darkroom for hire. So any thoughts about how I go about starting would be appreciated !

Bob, when you mean folding camera which types do you mean ?, Im a bit lost with the variety of film cameras there are : )

One last question, is there a specific beginners forum on here ? as I have some questions about medium format cameras from a beginners point of view (advice about ease of use etc) and Id prefer to put that post in the right section.

many thanks

Ori

Ps this film photography is TOO interesting, Im currently supposed to writing an essay ..........instead Ive just spent the morning learning about the history of 35mm film....
Old 21st June 2010, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Hi Ori. The quickest way to get to the main forums listing page from anywhere else on the site is by clicking on the FADU logo at the top left corner of every page. Scroll down the listings page and there is a Cameras - medium format forum listed.

"Old folders" refers to the style of (usually) medium format cameras made post WWII (similar cameras made pre WWII will not have coated lenses and are more likely to have mechanical problems - but of course, some people love them for the lack of coated lenses for the look that gives).

Typical examples can be seen on Certo's site here: http://www.certo6.com/cameras.html

Some use obsolete film types but many (most?) use 120 film which is still readily available from all the usual suppliers. A quick look at the Vintage Camera section on ebay.co.uk will show there are always a number available and if you can get one in good condition (given their age, the shutters can be a bit slow and the bellows on some may leak light but you can get replacement bellows from a few sources) the technical quality can be extremely good.

Likewise, a look at the medium format section on the auction site will give some idea of prices for more modern MF cameras which will likely have a wider range of aperture and shutter speeds (old folders typically may only go from 1/20th to 1/200th (+B) and f:4.5 to f:16) which I think is similar to the Holga.

The Ilford site (www.ilfordphoto.com) has this pdf on developing your 1st film and this pfd on making your first print as well as a lot more detailed info on their films, paper and chemicals etc.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies