Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th November 2018, 08:24 PM
Friend

Hi Welcome to the forum, from another Minolta user, loads to browse on here, hope you have fun.

Ian
Old 9th November 2018, 09:34 PM
Friend

Default Minolta a sad loss

Yes indeed welcome to the forum.

I still do 'the other stuff' because that is part of my p/time job - I have to use it.

I have two Minolta bodies a XM and an XE1 plus a selection of lenses. The XM was Minoltas attempt at going Pro but Nikon/Canon had too tight a grip on the market so it was discontinued. The XE1 is a bit like a XD model, just all metal and a lot heavier. Only B&W now, I got bored with colour printing.
Old 11th November 2018, 11:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhouselife View Post
for the welcome.
I have a few film cameras, both 35mm and MF. I inherited a Mamiya RZ67 and a Yashica MAT 124G from my dad.
Your dad had great taste in cameras - I also have an RZ67 and 124G, and although I have bought and sold different cameras, I will never sell either.

The RZ67 will do anything you might want to do (well maybe not sports) providing you don't mind the weight and the Yashicamat is excellent to sling over your shoulder if, say, you're on a family walk and can't justify carrying the RZ.
Old 5th January 2019, 01:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
I've been doing all my own B&W film dev, and have a C41 kit on the way to process the last 7 undeveloped colour films I have ready to go. Hope that turns out ok, as they are from a trip I made this last Summer...

I'm still a bit ambivalent about colour, and will probably focus on B&W through 2019 with an aim to do more printing of my own. Produce less work, but hopefully better work...
A nice selection of cameras you've got there! Love the look of your Yashica MAT 124G!!!

As for doing colour printing, I've never done it, mostly because I don't do that much of it and it looks a little bit too complicated for me = especially sorting the colour casts with filters out. I therefore get all of my colour work done, when I do some, at a good lab. Remember, when / if you develop the colour C41 films, the next step would be enlarging them all! I would personally get a good lab to do dev and enprint for you for C41 and if you then feel inclined still to do colour, treat the enprints as proofs to pick out the best for enlarging by yourself.

Personally, I'd do what you said and focus on your B+W work for a good while, and then see if you still want to go over to colour at a later date.

But hey, that's just my opinion and there are a lot of colour workers on here who will say otherwise.

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 5th January 2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 5th January 2019, 02:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
for the welcome.

I quite like driving, apart from the bit of the M6 between Preston and the M5 turning - done that stretch in another life far too often...

I have a few film cameras, both 35mm and MF. I inherited a Mamiya RZ67 and a Yashica MAT 124G from my dad. This spring I was gifted a Mamiya C220 from Canadian friends and I picked that up on my travels through Spring/Summer. I used Minolta MC/MD lenses on my Sony so found a Minolta XD-7, then another, then a SRT101, then a XD-5; I also have an original Canonet from 1961 - temperamental, but does work and I just took ownership of a FED 2e.

I've been doing all my own B&W film dev, and have a C41 kit on the way to process the last 7 undeveloped colour films I have ready to go. Hope that turns out ok, as they are from a trip I made this last Summer...

I'm still a bit ambivalent about colour, and will probably focus on B&W through 2019 with an aim to do more printing of my own. Produce less work, but hopefully better work...
I have just been given a Fed 2 for Christmas, together with a Kiev 4 and a Jupiter 135 LTM lens, all seems to work well, shutter Etc seems fine
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies