Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th June 2009, 12:47 PM
Friend

Default Drying marks on film

Dear Les,

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that you use isopropanol in a solution of wetting agent, prior to drying the film. I want to try this, because I occationally get drying marks on my film.

Can you please elaborate on this, or tell me where I can find this information.

Thanks,

jonogmun

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***

Old 4th July 2009, 04:40 PM
Friend

Hi jono, may I apologise for the delay in replying, I've just returned from a week in Belfast and Dublin. The method I use for the final rinse is quite simple and very effective. I use a large and quite deep plastic container, a tupperware food storage box is ideal, which I fill with water at 20c, add a small quantity of photoflo and a small quantity of isopropyl alcohol, small quantity being a capful from the bottle you purchase it in. I remove the film from the reel and draw it through the container full of the solution I've just described in a see saw action by holding the film at each end. I do this several times. If it's 35mm film I carefully put the film in the container because my arms are not long enough to draw it through the liquid as previously described. Arrange the film in the container so that it does not rub against itself to eliminate the possibility of scratching.

Examine the film after a short time in the liquid, you are looking for the film to be completely covered by the liquid, if it is not you will easily see that the film does not have a smooth coating. When you are satisfised that it is fully coated just hang it up to dry, do not squee gee it.

I use rubbing compound that I purchase in the US for less that $1 a bottle for it is 98% isopropyl alcohol amd considerably less expensive that purchasing it at the local chemist in the UK.
Old 6th July 2009, 11:50 PM
Friend

Thank you Les for the information. I will give this a try next time I develop.

Jon

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***