Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th November 2010, 11:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDerka View Post
I have been experimenting with the Kodak Rapid selenium toner and had the same thing on my mind about disposal.

I find that the ammonia smell goes away quite quickly but the toner keeps on toning. Does the toner suffer from oxidation? I've been keeping it in the tray and only putting a larger tray over top of it?

Lastly; how toxic is it? do you all wear gloves ... or just put up with the slowly approaching dementia?
You need to use Nitrile Rubber Gloves.

In the UK standard domestic rubber gloves (Yellow Marigolds) are Nitrile.

Latex Rubber Gloves (I call them condom gloves - the sort you see doctors wear) are insufficient.

The Selenium can penatrate Latex but not Nitrile Rubber.

Selenium can be absobed through the skin.

Its hard to work out just how hazardous the stuff is - as almost everything is classified as hazardous.

I top up my solution of Selenium Toner, adding 16ccs after each 12x16 print.

I found by adding small amounts as I went I eliminated down stream problems with the emulsion flaking off during Gold Toning.

I now do the continuous top-up scheme, whether I Gold Tone or not.

Martin
Old 16th November 2010, 01:09 AM
Friend

Thanks for the tip about topping up. I think I'm going to use that idea - it seems to make sense.

I am really liking how the density changes but I have to say that the purplish tones are not to my liking so I am still experimenting but will likely gravitate towards very dilute ratios.

Gold toning is next on my list!
Old 16th November 2010, 08:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDerka View Post
Thanks for the tip about topping up. I think I'm going to use that idea - it seems to make sense.

I am really liking how the density changes but I have to say that the purplish tones are not to my liking so I am still experimenting but will likely gravitate towards very dilute ratios.

Gold toning is next on my list!
The purple tone is very much a factor of the paper used, Ilford is more prone to it than some others.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The purple tone is very much a factor of the paper used, Ilford is more prone to it than some others.
Indeed, Ilford FB toned in selenium + sulfit goes eggplant colour. Very unattractive to my eye.
Old 26th November 2010, 01:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
I wouldn't put it on your veg though

Neil
Oddly enough, this could be a good thing to do. Selenium is an essential element in the human diet, and soil levels appear to be falling due to intensive farming practices. So, diluting used selenium toner (which is going to be pretty depleted in selenium itself, unless used one shot), and watering the soil (not the plants themselves) could be a positive boost to ones selenium intake.
Old 30th November 2010, 04:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Oddly enough, this could be a good thing to do. Selenium is an essential element in the human diet, and soil levels appear to be falling due to intensive farming practices. So, diluting used selenium toner (which is going to be pretty depleted in selenium itself, unless used one shot), and watering the soil (not the plants themselves) could be a positive boost to ones selenium intake.
Tomato plants seem to thrive on it

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies