Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th April 2011, 04:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
During the various calls to framers local to me one even replied that all boards over 3mm thickness were cut by lasers nowadays!... someone smell burning?...Paul
Never heard such nonesense. CMCs (computerised mount cutters) are becoming more popular, but any competent professional framer should be able to handle boards up to 3mm
Old 6th April 2011, 06:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
During the various calls to framers local to me one even replied that all boards over 3mm thickness were cut by lasers nowadays!... someone smell burning?...

Paul
I smell something, but I am not sure its burning

Neil
Old 6th April 2011, 06:14 PM
Friend

Any slight overcut I've managed to make invisible with the use of a good quality burnishing tool. As a matter of course I always burnish the window matt.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 6th April 2011, 06:27 PM
Friend

Paul, regarding your problem with thick mounts, have you considered double mounting, using two standard thickness mounts of the same colour, with the outer window about 5mm bigger allround than the inner? This might give you something of the "luxurious" look that you are probably after with thick mounts.

Alan
Old 7th April 2011, 08:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Any slight overcut I've managed to make invisible with the use of a good quality burnishing tool. As a matter of course I always burnish the window matt.
This is good practice. Best to lay a shet of paper down and burnish through it, it stops the board going "shiney"
Old 7th April 2011, 08:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Paul, regarding your problem with thick mounts, have you considered double mounting, using two standard thickness mounts of the same colour, with the outer window about 5mm bigger allround than the inner? This might give you something of the "luxurious" look that you are probably after with thick mounts.

Alan
Hi Alan, yes I have tried double mounting but I personally find them a little fussy for a specific portfolio of images I'm looking to mount

Paul

Arena Photographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies