Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th August 2010, 01:42 PM
Friend

Default Edinburgh in September

Hi all,

It seems that my wife and I will be in Edinburgh for four days somewhere in September and I'm in charge of preparing the trips and visits in and around Edinburgh

So I'm looking for help: What I 'm looking for are places out of the main touristic routes but worth to visit and see, within a reasonable distance from Edinburgh, so we can use Edinburgh as trip base. I don't mind any kind of places and they don't have to be neccessarily photo related, but my wife, as an architect, will expect something related to history, architecture, modern and old, etc.

Also, if you have any suggestion for acommodation, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks to all
Old 16th August 2010, 09:57 AM
Friend

Alfonso

I tend to pass through Edinburgh on the way up to St Andrews and the Forth Road bridge is an impressive structure although I have not explored the South Queensferry area on foot but it is accessible by train. This stretch of the Firth of Forth featured in 'Shipwrecked' by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Les
Old 16th August 2010, 10:13 AM
Friend

Alfonso, will you have a the use of a car or will you be relying on public transport?
Old 16th August 2010, 11:24 AM
Friend

Hi Alfonso - well where do you start - there's literally so much to see in Edinburgh that is photogenic and architecturally interesting that a comprehensive list starts to look quite crazy, but being crazy ( ) I had detailed a fairly large email, but my machine crashed as I was about to post it, so I lost the lot!
These links will take you to sites of interest, and don't forget that you can see genuine Edward Weston prints at the City Arts Centre until October!

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet...ton__life_work

http://www.edinburgh.org/

http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk

http://www.edinburgholdtown.org.uk/

http://www.grassmarkethotels.com/#

(I chose this because the Grassmarket is a good base for starting your wandering from - I would also say you're better to stay in the Old Town [on the castle side of Princes Street] - it's very romantic, looks wonderful, and there's always something going on)

Some places:
Nelson's Monument on the top of Calton Hill
Albert Memorial, Princes Street gardens
World Of Illusions (On the Royal Mile - it has a working camera obscura on top, and an observation deck too)
Scottish Parliament building - lots of people hate it, but I love it!
Rosslyn Chapel - as made, er, famous, by The Da Vinci Code, but an extraordinary bulding all the same, however I think the scaffolding is still up
I'll ditto Les on the Forth Rail Bridge - it's incredible

Hope some of this helps - enjoy your stay!
Phil
Old 16th August 2010, 12:16 PM
Friend

Well, thanks to both. A lot of information to digest.

Dave, I will hire a car. My first idea was to spend a day or two in Edinburgh and three visiting the countryside and seaside.

I will let you know the final routes.

Thanks again
Old 16th August 2010, 07:06 PM
Friend

Alfonso. If you stay in Edinburgh then don't bother with a car while you are there. It is a quite compact city and you can walk to most places.

The city's building are lit up at night and there are some great night shots to be had. Go up on Calton Hill after dark. The large building called the Parthenon is lit up. The good citizens of Edinburgh in the 19th century intended to build a copy of the Parthenon in Athens but ran out of money so only the front pillars were built. However at night it is a great sight and worth photographing.

If you are energetic "Arthur's Seat"( an extinct volcano, behind Hollyrood Palace is worth a visit. From there you can see the whole of Edinburgh.

If you have a head for heights go up the Scott Monument on Princes Street. Some great shots from there but it is 35mm or maybe MF camera territory only. No room for LF or a tripod.

Finally and I know this sounds as if it is just a tourist attraction, catch a bus from Princes Street to Leith where the Royal Yacht Britannia is permanently berthed. Not too expensive for a ticket and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect to enjoy it but did. Again photography permitted anywhere.

Have a good holiday

Mike
Old 21st August 2010, 07:40 AM
Friend

Hi all,

I'd like to thank everyone for the advices.

The plan will be to stay in Edinburgh and make three excursions. The first one along the South East coast: New Berwick, Tantallon Castle and Seacliff, down to Eyemouth, with stopovers in St. Abbs, and then inland to Melrose Abbey and Peebles to go back to Edinburgh. The second one, to the East: Stirling, Lake of Menteith and the Inchmahome Priory and then around Loch Lomond up to Luss and back. The third one, along the North coast, to Arbroath and Dunnottar Castle.

These excursions will have the flexibility to jump over any of the places if we feel so or go back to Edinburgh without reaching the end if we spend more time than expected in one of the sites.

Evenings in Edindurgh and one extra day to, very, very quickly, get an idea of the city itself, mainly within the old town.

That was the plan until yesterday, when a new term has been added to the equation: Isle of Skye.

This is not the place I would like to go with my wife. It is a place to take pictures and to do that, I prefer to be on my own. Nevertheless, as we will go there, I will enjoy it anyway.

And now, I need more advice. We will stay two nights in Skye. Is there "a place" to stay? What would you recommend to see or go?

Questions, questions, questions.

So, if you see a couple, the guy with a RZ67, not speaking English at all (I do all this through Google translator ), those will be us.
Again, lots of thanks
Old 21st August 2010, 08:35 AM
Friend

Skye is an incredible place! The problem is it needs more than a couple of days to do it justice. The weather can be very variable (and wet) but a couple of my (and I suspect, a few others) favourite spots:

Pretty much anywhere on the long, winding single-track road from from Broadford to Elgol

The Trotternish peninsula on the north side of the island for dramatic cliffs and rockscapes. The 'Old man of Stoer' and the Quiraing are worth walking to.

Tallisker Bay on the west side. Again a long walk but well worth it - and the Tallisker destillery is nearby but probably best visited if you're not driving anywhere afterwards!

Beware - Skye is addictive! one visit and you won't be able to stop!

Rob
Old 21st August 2010, 09:52 AM
Friend

H Alfonso Skye is incredible and a photographers dream, a week was not long enough so 2 days will be difficult. You do not say when in September your going but we stayed in Carters Rest which was great, though it is a long drive from the Skye bridge on the west side of the island. But I noticed on their website that they are booked till the 14th

http://www.cartersrestskye.co.uk/

Neil
Old 21st August 2010, 06:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Hi all,

I'd like to thank everyone for the advices.

The plan will be to stay in Edinburgh and make three excursions. The first one along the South East coast: New Berwick, Tantallon Castle and Seacliff, down to Eyemouth, with stopovers in St. Abbs, and then inland to Melrose Abbey and Peebles to go back to Edinburgh. The second one, to the East: Stirling, Lake of Menteith and the Inchmahome Priory and then around Loch Lomond up to Luss and back. The third one, along the North coast, to Arbroath and Dunnottar Castle.

Alfonso as a Scotsman I know a little of what is involved in these three excursions. I am assuming that each will be done in one day with a return to Edinburgh the same day.

If so then I would think carefully about whether you can cover these kind of distances, see the places properly and take pictures. For instance Dunottar Castle is only about 18 miles south of Aberdeen so a round trip of over 200 hundred miles. There is also quite a walk to the castle from the car park and just a quick trip round the castle might take at least 2 hours if you never stop and look at things. If you intend going to Arbroath as well then this will take time as well.

It might be achievable if you leave Edinburgh very early and arrive back very late but you are not going to be able to do a proper visit.

If all three excursions take place one after the other then by day three you will be very tired.

Best of luck if you attempt this schedule but it might be too much. I know I wouldn't attempt it. I'd need to spend too long in each place and remember, I have been there before. As a new visitor I'd never satisfy my curiosity and sightseeing needs in three days.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies