Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th May 2011, 11:39 AM
Friend

Default Digibase

Having recently acquired a Digibase C41 kit, I note that in the instructions they don't suggest increasing times as more films are processed in the same batch. Also, they don't mention any rinsing between baths.
I intend to make up 500ml. at a time (that's what my tank needs) which apparently will process up to ten films. Is it really so that I won't need to change the times for the last few films? Do I really not need to wash in between baths?
I would be most grateful for the experience of others before I start using the kit.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:44 AM
Friend

I don't know the kit, but manufacturers usually know the best way to use their products most of the time. Hopefully someone will have used the kit and enlighten you further.

Neil
Old 17th May 2011, 12:06 PM
Friend

I have used other C41 and E6 kits and always had to extend times as the chemicals were used. I assumed it would also apply to this kit; logic suggests that the chemicals take longer to do the job as they become progressively exhausted. Puzzling.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:07 PM
Friend

I follow the Kodak C-41 instructions and rinse between the bleach and fix and then wash after the fix.
I also add a 3 min pre wash in distilled water.

There is a massive thread on APUG about it and it's amazing keeping properties and capacity, think all your questions and more will be answered here's all 26 pages http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/7...se-c-41-a.html

I usually use it a a 2 shot, mixing 250ml of solution and running 12 sheets of 5x4 through it in 2x6 sheet runs, both at standard dev time.
Sure I could put more through put at the price it is, it's not worth wasting £20 of film to test.
Nice thing is you can order individual chemicals in small quantities from AG.

(I'm using a Jobo CPP2 with 3006 expert drum)

Last edited by Ed Moss; 17th May 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 17th May 2011, 04:10 PM
Friend

Looking at that thread, it seems that others agree with you about the 2 washes Ed. In the past, I have used a stop bath after the developer.
One contributor reckons he has had twice the recommended number of films (40 from 1 litre) from his kit. Maybe the great capacity is what accounts for the fact that no increase in times is mentioned. It seems, also, that the keeping properties of both the concentrates and working solutions are excellent. Over all, people seem favourably impressed with this chemistry.
I think I'll include the washes and possibly the stop bath and see how it works using the same times for all 10 films.
Old 10th April 2012, 07:32 PM
Friend

I made up another half litre last week, having accumulated films for a few months. The concentrates were fine and the working solutions developed as follows-
6 x Fuji 160 220 size
4 x Kodak 400 120 size
1 x XP2 120 size

All with no adjustment to process times, except for one of the Kodaks which I uprated by one stop.
Given that 220 films are about twice the length of 120 I reckon that's pretty good going.
I have a few 35mm films that I was just messing about with so I might try them too in the same batch. Sounds penny pinching I know, but curiosity is getting the upper hand.
Old 11th April 2012, 06:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I made up another half litre last week, having accumulated films for a few months. The concentrates were fine and the working solutions developed as follows-
6 x Fuji 160 220 size
4 x Kodak 400 120 size
1 x XP2 120 size

All with no adjustment to process times, except for one of the Kodaks which I uprated by one stop.
Given that 220 films are about twice the length of 120 I reckon that's pretty good going.
I have a few 35mm films that I was just messing about with so I might try them too in the same batch. Sounds penny pinching I know, but curiosity is getting the upper hand.
Thanks for keeping us up to-date, and no apologies needed for "penny pinching".
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies