Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th November 2012, 08:27 PM
Friend

Default Anywhere good photo spots around Stow on the Wold?

Shan and I are off the the Cotswolds, around Guiting Power and Stow on the Wold on Sunday for a couple of days. Of course the cameras are coming too. Any suggestions for good landscape/architecture or other photo opportunities around the Cotswold area?
Old 16th November 2012, 08:41 PM
Friend

Try the Slaughters. They are close at hand. At this time of year Bourton on the Water is worthwhile - again very close to Stow. The mass of tourists will be gone so a lot more room to take pics

Mike
Old 16th November 2012, 08:43 PM
Friend

rollright stones are not far I think
Old 16th November 2012, 09:01 PM
Friend

Burford. One of my favourite places is Chedworth Roman Villa and the Coln valley. There's a nice nature reserve above the Roman villa, and a deserted airfield at the top of the hill.

It's ages since I've been in the area properly. I went on the motorbike a couple of years ago, but it was only a fleeting visit.

Nick
Old 17th November 2012, 05:29 AM
Friend

I agree with Nick with regard to Chedworth Roman Villa and the Coln valley, if to take the A429 at Fosse Bridge going towards Cirencester and take the turning up the hill from Fosse bridge to the Roman Villa its a narrow road as I remember but there is some lovely landscapes aroung there. Going up the Fosse Bridge hill the turning is on the right and not so easy but if you carry on up the hill and a little further there is a nice pub restaurant callled Hare and Hounds you can rest there turn around towards Fosse Bridge and the turning is easier. Have a good time.
Richard
Old 17th November 2012, 01:21 PM
Friend

I used to live on the southern edge of the cotswolds just near Cirencester. Basically most of the villages and towns are very photogenic. If you haven't been before then Bibury is a must for the weavers cottages. Swan Inn is a nice place to stay or for lunches. At this time of year Westonbirt Arboretum should be stunning but you'll need colour film and its probably 30 miles or so from stow, near Tetbury. Chipping Campden is another very pretty town with plenty of architecture to photograph. Obviously Stow itself. Check out the wool churches which are highly photogenic. There is a good one in Stow but also a very good one in Northleach not far from Stow.
Chedworth as others have said. Also Belas Knap long barrow.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies