Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th October 2013, 10:57 PM
Friend

Default Sharif Photographic

I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Sharif Photographic near Gretna. I ordered some chemicals and paper last week. I ordered it in the morning, it was all in stock at really good prices, and it all arrived the next day.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
www.ianarthur.co.uk
Old 29th October 2013, 05:49 AM
Friend

Yep - said it before too. Sharif is a good supplier and very quick indeed
Old 29th October 2013, 08:35 AM
Friend

How timely. Placed my first order with Sharif yesterday morning before work. Got home to find email saying goods dispatched.

I'd never heard of them until they earned a mention in a recent thread here. I had a look on their site, and found Tetenal Fibre Variocontrast paper. Again, never heard of it, and it's half the price of Ilford MG FV Warm or Adox MCC. Now, clearly, it might be half the price for a very good reason! Anyway, I've ordered a box and will see what it looks like.
I do recall trying an older Adox paper billed as 'high silver, with lush blacks' and hating it. Kentona was a beautiful image colour on a horrible, flimsy base. So, I do have my favourites which I stick to- however, Ilford Fibre warmtone has become dear enough to notice. If the Tetenal was any good it would be nice to have a 'second pick' paper cheap enough to experiment on.
Cheers!
Old 29th October 2013, 05:45 PM
Friend

The Tetenal is good stuff. Seems faster than Ilford Multigrade so cuts down the otherwise long times on my V35.
Old 29th October 2013, 08:26 PM
Friend

my bestest favourite paper at the moment is Kentmere Fineprint FB VC 100 10x8 is £62.08 its cheap as chips ,have you seen the price of chips these days ......

www.essexcockney.com
Old 29th October 2013, 09:06 PM
Friend

Sadly discontinued this summer.
Old 29th October 2013, 09:41 PM
Friend

so what the hell will ilford be selling soon, not a lot by the look of things ,you try and be loyal to ilford and they go and do a thing like that ...skellum you will have to let us know how you get on with the tetenal paper .....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 29th October 2013, 10:05 PM
Friend

Hi Paul- I'll certainly report back on the Tetenal FB.
I'm off to the mainland for work next few days, so I'll be dropping off the FADU radar until the weekend. I'll be packing 35mm, and hoping to come back with some street stuff from Edinburgh. The Tetenal should be waiting for me when I get home, so plan to be in the darkroom ASAP
It's not that I want to abandon Ilford Warmtone- it's a lovely paper. There are times, though, I wouldn't mind a lower cost option to mess with. For example, on the last negative exchange (round 4) I burned through a ferocious amount of paper getting what I wanted.
I guess that Ilford, like all big companies, do a huge amount of number crunching. If film and paper was cheaper, would people use more? I would, and I'd probably print bigger more often.
But, how many people would do that? And would selling more stuff at a lower margin be more profitable, or just more hassle for same bottom line?
Cheers!

ps- I've already downgraded from Malts to blended to maintain my shooting rate. What more could Ilford ask of me???
Old 29th October 2013, 11:01 PM
Friend

skellum, I am sure you will have been to Edinburgh a lot more often than I have but for what it is worth the statues on Princes Street are magnificently lit up at night as is the Parthenon on Calton Hill and both are worth some shots. In fact I found the centre of Edinburgh to be a great place for night shots

Enjoy your visit

Mike
Old 1st November 2013, 07:17 PM
Friend

Hi Mike-
just back off the plane. Missed you post when it mattered- duh!
Edinburgh is visually striking, but it seem I'm always trying to squeeze my 'trigger time' there between work engagements.
And I did see things I think I could work into serious images. I must make a resolution- pack proper kit and make some real time for to explore the place.
Back on topic- Tetenal FB Vario, 9.5 x 12 waiting for me.
Posted by Sharif at cost of postage (nothing for packing or handling!)
Will report back on the results shortly.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies