Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd January 2017, 08:00 PM
Friend

Default Soft ink for bromoils

I'm making some sort of progress with bromoils but wonder if anyone uses soft ink after the hard ink. It seems that the older instructions recommend using them to complete the lighter areas.
If so, how do you decide which type to use?

Does it matter if the bleach I make has some cloudiness and a small amount of precipitate? I don't think it affects the matrix, but never having done it before I have nothing to compare it to! I know some recommend using acid of some sort to clear the solution.
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:45 PM
Friend

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bromoils.

I have been making my Bromoiils with just the harder 1803 ink and have managed to get what I am looking for without any problems. I have heard of the softer1796 ink being used after the 1803, maybe someone here has done this and can advise?

I use Gilbert's bleach / tan formula (without any acid) with no problems at all but I make sure I don't over work the bleach/tan bath. There is a lot to be said for adopting a one-shot approach.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies