Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th June 2019, 09:45 PM
Friend

Default 5x4 lens compatibility

on my cambo legend 5x4 monorail camera I use a Schneider symmar s 210mm f 5.6 lens ,I get great results from it ,but can I use it on my mpp 5x4 folding field camera ,I know that I would not be able to close it with the lens attached ,but would I get the same results I am getting on my other camera and is there anything I need to look out for ,I have the 150mm lens but the shutter is playing up so it needs to be fixed ,so in the mean time I want to use the 210mm .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 14th June 2019, 10:21 PM
Friend

I don’t know the spec of the MPP, but the only problem you might find is that the bellows don’t extend enough to allow close focusing. You need 210mm of bellows extension to focus at infinity, and more for closer focus. The monorail probably has 300-400mm of a rail, but the MPP might have a bit less. The other factor that you need to consider is the size of the mounting hole you need on the lens board of the MPP. The hole diameter is governed by the shutter size. I have the Symmar S 210. Mine is in a Copal 1 shutter, but yours could be different. If both your lenses are in the same size shutter, it should be a straight swap. If they are different, you will need another MPP board of the correct size.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th June 2019, 10:46 PM
Friend

thanks alexmuir yes its a compur 1 shutter ,its a bit of lazzzyness on my part swapping it over from one board to the other to try it out. ,but I will have a go tomorrow ,on the mpp there is a load of bellows extension ,and I love using it outdoors ,and it folds up nice and its built like a brick sh%t house .I bought it from a fadu member and I love using it ,its a great camera

www.essexcockney.com
Old 15th June 2019, 07:25 AM
Friend

With the 210mm fitted you may find you will not be able to completely close the MPP's case. I have had this problem with my Speed Graphic.

Ian Grant will be able to advise I'm sure.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th June 2019, 08:46 AM
Friend

I don't know which MPP you have but there's no problem with any MPP Micro Technical or the Micro Press and a 210mm Symmar S. Results will be identical to your monorail.

The Micro Technicals,won't take most of the faster 90mm Wide angle lenses like the 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon or 90mm f4.5 Grandagon N, they won't fit through the front standard. the 90mm f8 sa and 90mm f6.8 Grandagon lense are fine.

Which model MPP ? PM your address, I'll pop something in the Post for it on Monday

Ian

Last edited by Lostlabours; 15th June 2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:08 PM
Friend

thanks Ian done that.. I have swapped the lenses over and have the 210 on my mpp ,I have to extend the bellows to get it on without caching the bellows ,the sharpness and brightness is really great and I will take some pictures today .I do like that focal length ,it suits my photography..
Old 15th June 2019, 02:19 PM
Friend

update...….. I took some photos today it all was going good when the lens nearly fell of I caught it just in time its to front heavy but I have solved the problem ,I have a square metal framing thing that clips on the front of the camera and when not in use it can fold down over the lens board and it holds the lens board and the realise clip shut ,so I have put it back on .I had a lovely shot of about ten horses in the field ,I focused took a light reading ,put the film holder in the camera as I was taking the dark slide out they all run away ,but I managed to get one horse in the frame .well I have 6 5x4 to develop tonight ...that's what I love about it I take the picture then develop the film and then make some prints ,what a great hobby \craft

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies