Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th January 2019, 03:55 PM
Friend

Thanks, the 43 track flat ribbon cable is quite complex, it is sort of an egg timer shape with the LED screen attatched. I can see why a camera repair shop would want to just remove the front of the camera solder a new cable in and replace the whole film back and screen. If your camera starts to show digits missing on your screen have a look under the little black pastic cover and lift the black tape where the film door hinges are. You may have just 1 or 2 tracks broken which could be soldered by a computer repair shop. I first tried conductive paste and copper wire but the conductive glue was useless, it is just graphite powder and a upva type glue. It dried too brittle and easily broke up when bent. I would not buy another Fuji GA645Zi I would go for one of the other cameras in the Fuji range with all the controls on the top plate. I will not sell this camera now it is repaired to any unsuspecting punter, if a wire breaks at least I will have only the one individual wire to repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a fuji  IMG_2047.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	3010  
Old 7th January 2019, 01:10 PM
Friend

I suppose we all have to remember that an awful lot of our cameras are decades and more, in age and some are bound to have a hiccup or two along the line.

But lets hope you get many more years out of your camera Norm, as it's too good to just sit on a shelf to be looked at only.

Terry S
Old 23rd November 2019, 07:45 PM
New User

Default Just some random thoughts/sobbing

I was devastated when my black GA645Zi developed this problem. There doesn't appear to be any other camera quite like it.

My GA645W does not appear to have this problem, however that camera is more plasticky feeling than the GA645Zi, and doesn't have the zoom of course.

As I decided to sell my still-sort-of-working black GA645Zi, I noticed that prices had skyrocketed over the 2½ years I owned it. When will Fujifilm start producing these cameras again? When used prices surpass what it sold for when new? Then again, they killed off FP-100C even though there seems to have been a healthy demand for it.

I made some attempts at repairing a champagne GA645Zi a year ago, but failed. Heart broken, I'm looking at a Pentax 645NII instead. I know, I know. It's not the same.
Old 25th January 2020, 01:31 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Thanks, the 43 track flat ribbon cable is quite complex, it is sort of an egg timer shape with the LED screen attatched. I can see why a camera repair shop would want to just remove the front of the camera solder a new cable in and replace the whole film back and screen. If your camera starts to show digits missing on your screen have a look under the little black pastic cover and lift the black tape where the film door hinges are. You may have just 1 or 2 tracks broken which could be soldered by a computer repair shop. I first tried conductive paste and copper wire but the conductive glue was useless, it is just graphite powder and a upva type glue. It dried too brittle and easily broke up when bent. I would not buy another Fuji GA645Zi I would go for one of the other cameras in the Fuji range with all the controls on the top plate. I will not sell this camera now it is repaired to any unsuspecting punter, if a wire breaks at least I will have only the one individual wire to repair.
Hey Norm do you have any more pics of it.

Also do you thing a custom ribbon can be made to bridge those two points? It would be a simple cable to make then it's just to cut the cable and stick it in. When it breaks get another one.

That's just my thoughts from see your work and wanting to avoid it on the camera I just bought, in the future.
Old 9th August 2020, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTOTECH View Post
Hi everyone.

We are able to repair Fuji 645zi rear cover problem for you by replacing flex cable unit. We remanufactured this parts. It is better quality because of thinner material used and it should last longer than original one.
https://www.fotonaprawa.pl/fuji-ga64...acza-lcd-klapy

If you are interested, let me know here or contact by our website
Google translate of the page:
Quote:
Category: repair
Price of the service: PLN 1000

The fault manifests itself in the disappearance of the contents of the damper display, which in turn leads to the complete failure of the LCD. A coexisting fault that can be observed is the lack of scrolling of the film after taking the photo.

The cause of the defect is a cracking flex strip of the LCD joint.

Repair consists in replacing the damaged element.
Be aware that PLN 1000 at the current exchange rate (4.9), is approx £205.
Old 9th August 2020, 11:58 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Google translate of the page:

Be aware that PLN 1000 at the current exchange rate (4.9), is approx £205.
Thats good to know Bob, thank you for posting. £205 is not too bad considering the cost of replacing the camera. If a camera was sent to Poland for repair would you get collared for import duty and parcel force fees when it is posted back to the UK?
Old 9th August 2020, 02:25 PM
Friend

Poland is in the EU (for now) so there shouldn't be any "extras".

Here are some guidelines for sending the camera to Poland from Royal Mail.

"Customs and Brexit

Currently, items leaving the UK for other EU countries do not require customs documentation, as we are all in the European Union Customs Union.

If the UK leaves the EU with ‘no deal’, we expect items going to the EU to be treated the same way as items going elsewhere in the world. This means you’ll need to attach a customs declaration label to your package.

If you buy postage online with Click & Drop the label will be generated automatically, and we will also send customs data in advance of your parcel.

Alternatively, customs declaration labels are available online or in a Post Office® branch.

For items with a value up to £270, you will need customs form CN22 (pdf, 394.05 KB).
For items with a value over £270, you will need customs form CN23 (pdf, 227.98 KB) and clear plastic wallet SP 126, also available at any Post Office® branch."

The webpage for the documentation, with hyperlinks to the pdfs for the Customs Forms, can be found under "Important Information" at:

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/in...-guides/poland
Old 28th August 2020, 10:07 AM
Friend

My DIY repair lasted almost 2 years then the digits on the Led screen started to disappear again. I sent my camera to Fototech in Warsaw. From posting to receiving the camera back in good working order it took just under 3 weeks. I have 6 months warranty. Happy my camera is fully functional and it should be reliable for some years to come. No import duties etc.
Old 28th August 2020, 10:18 AM
Friend

Good to know, Norm so thanks for the feedback. Mine hasn't got that far yet and they are very capable cameras so I'd probably want to have it fixed.

Any idea about how robust the replacement part is compared to the original part or do you think it will always need to be nursed?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 28th August 2020, 11:46 AM
Friend

Yes, good news Norm, as it's always handy to know these things.

Having just looked on ebay, there are dozens of these cameras on offer. All strangely are from Japan, bar one, which is from the Czech Republic. Are they just extremely popular in use in Japan or do they all migrate there I wonder?

One on offer though made my brain wonder, is one that apparently has a counter number of zero, yet the seller describes it as mint and with scuff marks associated with general use...?!

I was also choking after see how much they all sell for now. I'm sure I never paid anywhere near the prices they are asking, so long live mine, as it is just about my favourite camera to use.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies