Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th July 2011, 05:47 PM
Friend

So there we are. It works but very slowly. In fact at three days so slowly that there must be better ways than a plastic papersafe. Liquid emulsion coating clearly requires a lot of patience.

Mike
Old 29th July 2011, 08:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Paul, sounds interesting and wondered if you are printing neg or pos onto the glass. If neg and backed up with black backing, would they look a bit like an ambrotype?
Printing as a positive image and the backing with gold, or if I'm feeling cheap, bronze powder. The process was popularised by Edward S. Curtis at the turn of the century.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:16 PM
Friend

I've used the old ilford box trick perfectly successfully.

Another way is to buy, or borrow from upstairs, a hairdryer and blow dry the wet emulsion on a cool setting. Dries in minutes.

Niall.
Old 3rd August 2011, 03:48 PM
Friend

I used some a few years ago and dried it using an RC print drier (the type with a fan in the back - not the roller type) It dried in about 5 minutes.

Rob
Old 3rd August 2011, 04:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I used some a few years ago and dried it using an RC print drier (the type with a fan in the back - not the roller type) It dried in about 5 minutes.

Rob
Rob I had thought of suggesting this as I too have this kind if drier but when the fan is on there seems to be a red light glow from it which over say 5 mins made me scared of fogging. Maybe becasue it is red and low level allumination it doesn't fog.

Did you use just the ambient air setting or the heated air one? It would certainly speed things up and the drier can take about 8 x 8x10 sheets at a time

Thanks

Mike
Old 6th August 2011, 09:27 AM
Friend

Question

Message for Les Dix. Whose "LE" work appealed to you in particular?
Old 6th August 2011, 05:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Message for Les Dix. Whose "LE" work appealed to you in particular?
Rita Bernstein (http://www.ritabernstein.com/) in her 'Psychological Landscape' series although I like the look and apparent texture of the images more than the subject matter.

She uses a Japanese paper which may not be easy to find. The link below describes one persons experience of using this (expensive) paper;

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/1...ast-night.html

On further thought, I do not think exotic Japanese papers would be a good starting point for a liquid emulsion novice like me!

Here

Les
Old 7th August 2011, 07:17 PM
Friend

Smile

Message for Les:
Thanks for the info Les, I had come across Rita Bernstein before ( somewhere) But her web page and work is indeed magnificent.
Wish there was a UK telephone number to use to subscribe to "Lenswork"

Good luck with you LE projects
Old 18th February 2013, 11:13 AM
Friend

Default HELP required by COMPLETE BEGINNER with liquid light!

Resurrecting this thread as I am about to embark on a Uni project about lens-less / camera-less photography.

I have bought a book called 'Shadow Catchers', which covers five peoples work, along with a second hand bottle of Jessops Liquid Emulsion. It is dated 2002 (I think) but seems to work fine, after initial tests.

BUT my main question is using the Liquid Emulsion (here on called LE.).

I have tried to coat various card, watercolour paper, flattish stones and aluminium food containers with the LE. The first tests had the LE painted straight onto the substrates quite thinly. Just about all of the LE came off in either the chemicals or the water wash, even thought I keep the water below the recommended 25 C.

For my second tests, I primed the above substrates with a water based white paint undercoat and an oil based varnish (NOT both on the same substrate btw) to see which would work best and gave a thicker coat of the LE.

This time around, it seems the emulsion didn't adhere to the primers at all (despite these being recommended) as after processing, the areas around the primers were blackened as expected, but there appears to be NO LE at all on the primers!?!

Can anyone who has used some brand of LE advise a complete beginner at this?

Also any recommendations of books or websites about this subject at all?

Many thanks in advance.

Terry S
Old 18th February 2013, 12:19 PM
Friend

As the OP I hope someone can advise you Terry. I never pursued the silver gelatin project because I had a few problems with light proofing my darkroom at the time (I had read that this is more critical for emulsion coating than for conventional paper).
Les
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies