Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th February 2020, 08:42 PM
Friend

Default Cleaning Solution.

I have been given some old and heavily stained dishes. Plastic developing dishes that have deposits of old crystals on them.
They used to sell dish cleaning solution years ago that took off most of the old developer stains. Is anything like that still available today?
If so is it any good, and who sells it?

Cheers.
Old 6th February 2020, 08:48 PM
Friend

I’ve used bleach and hot water before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th February 2020, 09:19 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I’ll second the bleach idea.
Old 6th February 2020, 09:41 PM
Friend

A good dollop of bleach and fill with water. Forget them for a couple of days then go and empty them. They will be spotless - like new..
Old 6th February 2020, 10:45 PM
Friend

Bleach and time does seem to work in my experience. Before looking for other chemicals and incurring possibly extra costs it is worth a try with bleach. If it is not highly diluted bleach is extremely powerful

Mike
Old 7th February 2020, 11:08 AM
Friend

Default Alternative

If you don't like the idea of bleach in an open tray, you could try Milton usually used to clean out babies bottles etc. Not nearly so strong but that works too. A litre bottle will cost somewhere arounb £1-20.

It will also work with the heavy deposits left in a NOVA processor. Although it does take a good while to work, it is cheaper and far less pungent than the stuff sold by NOVA.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
If you don't like the idea of bleach in an open tray, you could try Milton usually used to clean out babies bottles etc. Not nearly so strong but that works too. A litre bottle will cost somewhere arounb £1-20.

It will also work with the heavy deposits left in a NOVA processor. Although it does take a good while to work, it is cheaper and far less pungent than the stuff sold by NOVA.
John, is Milton as good as bleach and just a little slower and does it work in the fixer slot as well? The reason I ask is that I have quite a grey deposit in my fixer slot at the moment

You are right the Nova Tarbuster is very pungent and on bare hands is an irritant. Strong bleach does leave a strong odour in the air

So if Milton works as well as either Tarbuster or bleach, albeit more slowly then it would seem to be a winner

Thanks

Mike
Old 7th February 2020, 01:07 PM
Friend

Bleach will do the job every time
Richard
Old 7th February 2020, 01:32 PM
Friend

Yes Milton does work. I did my NOVA a year ago and it took several days to complete. You need to occasionally use some sort of brush in the slots to help things along a bit. I used a alloy car wheel brush from Halfords - about £2-50. You will find most of the black tar can eventually be moved, you just have to be patient.
Old 7th February 2020, 02:17 PM
Administrator

I've used diluted bleach like others and it deals with most things. Fixer seems the most stubborn.

Milton is highly diluted bleach (the exact same chemical). About the same dilution as the cheapest thin bleach in Tesco as I recall, where it is only about 45p for a 2 litre bottle (I've been known to use the washed empty bottles for stop-bath and fixer for storage between sessions).

Kodak tray cleaners TC1 and TC3 are common in the US but making them up requires conc. sulphuric acid so probably not a practical proposition in the UK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtaiM7danTs (warning: persons of a sensitive disposition may wish to skip the into )

Last edited by Bob; 7th February 2020 at 02:31 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies