Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th April 2020, 10:53 PM
Friend

Default Super Moon

Been out tonight and had a go at taking a few pics of the moon, in preparation for tomorrow night Super Moon.

Supposed to be one of the better chances tomorrow as not only a "Pink" Super Moon, but all so supposed to be a clear sky.

Subject to all being well going to have a go in both colour and B+W.

Anybody else considering it ?

Ian
Old 6th April 2020, 11:20 PM
Friend

Ian, funnily enough I have just gone into the conservatory to lock the door and saw a very bright full moon which I hadn't been expecting to see

The best I have is a 300mm lens with a 2x converter so 600mm and I keep promising myself someday to try to photograph it but have never got round to it

Maybe tomorrow is the night to give it a go

Mike
Old 7th April 2020, 06:26 AM
Friend

https://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=5...&spn=0.35,1.86

Not as good as it was (now they're trying to make money from it) but this gives sun and moon rise/set directions and times.
Go to the web 'app' and tell it where you live.
Handy for predicting just when the moon will appear.

Tonight moon rises an hour before the sun sets, so the sky will still be quite light and the moon relatively pale. By about 20.15 the sun will be very low, sky deepening in colour and the moon should still low enough in the sky to be interesting. Remember, once it's fully risen and you can't include foreground all sense of it being a 'super-moon' will be lost.
Old 7th April 2020, 09:44 AM
Friend

Hi Mike, Hi Skellum

Mike - used a 120 / 600 zoom last night got fairly close, hoping they come out. Going to put a x2 on it tonight just to see how close I can get. It's all new to me (only the 2nd time I've had a go) but reckon a 600 can do the job. A lesser chance of camera shake on the 600 than a 1200.

Going to do some serious bracketing of each shot as not entirely sure I can rely on camera's meter not to be fooled and over expose the moon.

I understand that there is a lunar equivalent to the Sunny f16 rule, the Lunar f11 rule, reckon that's where I'm going to start.

Skellum - thanks for the pointer to the page, as you say gives all the times that I'll need. Unfortunately where I live it's all built up and I can't even see the moon until it's fairly high in the sky, best I can hope for is a random selection of roof tops in the foreground, but a great tip none the less and something I hadn't even given a thought to, but something I'm going to see if I can get to work.

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 7th April 2020 at 09:45 AM. Reason: addition
Old 7th April 2020, 11:38 AM
Friend

I have a 500mm mirror and a x2 converter in OM fitting. I’ve never used them, so tonight’s the night. There’s a large, pointed steeple with a clock nearby. I’m hoping to find an angle to include that.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 7th April 2020, 03:42 PM
Friend

Another app for iOS, which unfortunately costs quite a bit, is Helios Pro which is primarily aimed at cinematographers. It allows you to see a virtual sun or moon whilst you point the camera on the phone in various directions. Thus you can work out when the sun or moon is going to be in a particular place.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/helios-pro/id1187474993

Nick
Old 7th April 2020, 04:23 PM
Friend

I realised when I dug out the OM gear that the camera body needed the seals replaced. Fortunately, in the present circumstances I have had the time to do that this afternoon. Only problem now is the strong wind that is blowing here. I’m hoping it will die down a bit.
Alex

Old 7th April 2020, 05:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I have a 500mm mirror and a x2 converter in OM fitting. I’ve never used them, so tonight’s the night. There’s a large, pointed steeple with a clock nearby. I’m hoping to find an angle to include that.
Alex

Just sorting out my OM kit as well. I have a 400mm Sigma and a Vivitar 500mm mirror along with a x2 and x3 converter to try.

David
Old 7th April 2020, 05:55 PM
Friend

I’ve joined mine all up and I can’t see anything through the viewfinder!!!
Alex

Old 7th April 2020, 06:38 PM
Friend

Alex, your mirror lens is probably f8.
The front mirror blocks some light from entering making it more like f11. The x2 converter drops 2 more stops, so your viewfinder image is somewhere in the region of f22 (maybe a little better).
I also have a 500/8 mirror but find it a challenge to use.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies