Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th June 2010, 11:12 AM
Friend

Default Graded papers and the Multigrade 500 head

Having just taken into custody a De Vere 504 with Multigrade 500 head; any advice for printing on Ilfobrom Galerie with the unit?

Tom
Old 4th June 2010, 02:48 PM
Friend

When I am using mine for graded papers I always set grade 2.5. Not that I have read that anywhere it is just what I have always done. I am sure other 500 H users here will have a definitive answer.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 4th June 2010, 03:07 PM
Friend

I would use it's white light setting, as Neil says this will be around the grade 2.5 setting.
Old 4th June 2010, 03:28 PM
Friend

When I got my Multigrade head earlier this year it said set grade 4 for graded paper (put on there by the previous owner who is a very experienced printer/photographer)
Just to be sure I have just checked my manual, and it says

"Prints from graded paper.... paper is only sensitive to blue light, therefore select contrast grade 4 or 4.5 (suggested) on the control unit as a compromise between exposure time and image visibility."

Hope that is of help

Neil
Old 4th June 2010, 08:42 PM
Friend

Neil,

I went looking for a PDF manual for the Multigrade 500. However the one available at www.ilfordphoto.com is for a 300W version not my 600W version. - realised after confusion at getting it to print double sided due to numbering differences between scanned page numbers and the PDF page numbers.

Tom
Old 5th June 2010, 12:08 PM
Friend

I could scan the manual I have and send you a copy if you would like, I can't see why there would be a copyright problem as they no longer produce the system or sell the manual. If I am not charging I think it will be ok.

Neil
Old 5th June 2010, 12:29 PM
Friend

Even if you aree not charging, copyright can still be breached..........
Old 5th June 2010, 12:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Even if you aree not charging, copyright can still be breached..........
I do know that, what I was implying is that they would not mind as it is of no commercial value to the company, and they already give free access to other manuals that have similar content.

Neil
Old 5th June 2010, 12:36 PM
Friend

Better safe than sorry.
Old 5th June 2010, 01:01 PM
Friend

]In fact having just checked Ilford website the manual is available as a free PDF its the one Tom mentions
Quote:
I went looking for a PDF manual for the Multigrade 500. However the one available at www.ilfordphoto.com is for a 300W version not my 600W version.
Its just they changed the 2x150W lamps to 2x300W lamps and made some minor modifications to the head in order to control the heat, and just added a supplementary leaflet with the modifications in.

So this is the link to the manual

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1151751747.pdf
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies