Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th May 2011, 04:09 PM
Friend

Default WTB. Cheap and cheerful 120 folder

I've got a load of 120 film in a recent haul and fancied a go at medium format for a while. So does anyone have a basic 120 folder sat somewhere in need of a little use. I don't want anything flash, just something servicable in the £20-30 price bracket. Been looking at the Ensign selfix, Zeiss ikons and Agifolds but I really have no idea what is what in this area.

Anyone got something sat in a drawer that hasn't seen the light of day for a few years?

If not any recommendations and I'll hit ebay.

Last edited by Puggie; 27th May 2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 27th May 2011, 04:17 PM
Friend

Puggie,
I don't know about the Agifold, I have never had one, but a Zeiss Ikon,perhaps a Netter, would be a good buy or perhaps a Ikonta, I have several Ensign Selfix's and if you get one with a Ross Xpress lens then you won't be dissapointed with the results, I use the Ensign's all the time, Great English made folders,
Richard
Old 28th May 2011, 07:29 AM
Friend

Do you want one with slow speeds or the simpler shutters with faster only speeds for good light or flash?
I've a couple of the latter you can have and a couple of the former I don't want much for.

Paul
Old 28th May 2011, 05:08 PM
Friend

Hi Paul,

Problem is I don't really know what i want. All my film is 400 ISO from memory so probably something more suited to the faster speeds. What have you got?
Old 28th May 2011, 06:04 PM
Friend

Puggie,
I use 400 ISO film all the time, in all my folders, Black and white, and all of my MF folders have a top speed of between 200 to 300, just stop down the lens, or if the worst comes to the worst and you run out of shutter speed's you can use a ND filter, I tend to have a yellow filter fitted most of the time and always have F stops in hand, even on the odd occasion when I do not have a filter fitted, I doubt you will find a vintage folder with a faster speed than 300 as a lot are fitted with a prontor shutter, and only the later shutter went to 500, some top end folders had Compur shutters, which had the 500 top speed, but they tend to fetch higher prices today, look for a Zeis Ikon Netter/Ikonta(not the super ikonta, they seem to go for a high price today) or perhaps one of the Ensign selfix range, which had an in house shutter, the Epsilon, which I have never had a problem with, and I have 4 of them, or you could look for an old Voightlander, perhaps A bessa 66, all are capable cameras.
Richard
Old 29th May 2011, 07:27 AM
Friend

I've a Zeiss Ikon Nettar, 75mm f6.3-22 Novar, Vario shutter, B, 25,75.200 ER case and a lenshood.Iris stops down beyond the f22 mark, something I've found on many folders.

Or if you want more speed a Goldeck with 75mm f3.5-22 Steiner-Bayreuth, same shutter and a lens hood.This camera has a metal tube rather than bellows and doesn't collapse flat so not so pocketable. No ER case but strap lugs on the body and a lens cap.

Both have flash sync. cable release sockets and sliding covers on the little red window at back.
Old 29th May 2011, 08:24 AM
Friend

Puggie, as there is a Netter on offer I would take it if I were you, The novar, although only a triplet, is a very good lens when stopped down a couple of stops, say 11 to 16, good contrast and good sharpness, again I speak from experience, I have a Ikonta with the novar, and Zeiss Ikon used the lens a lot, even in some of their more up market cameras such as the Contina range,
Richard
Old 29th May 2011, 08:38 AM
Friend

I've three Novars in all. The other two are one on a mark one Ikoflex and a Kershaw folder picked up on a car boot sale. Nice body but had only a box camera lens with sector shutter. The Novar lens/Vario shutter was off another car boot Nettar with rusted body.

I used to swap lenses around a bit. I've an Ensign 8/12 on, which I put a 105mm Kodak Anaston from a charity shop 620 folder. The Ensigns original lens had no flash sync and a basic no slow speeds Epsilon shutter, with T a well as B though. It covered 5x4, just, and went to someone who plays with old LF stuff.
Old 29th May 2011, 08:48 AM
Friend

Paul, you are starting to sound like a folder collecter yourself, I must have at least 8 of them in MF, 4 ensigns,a Balda, a welmy,( my only Japenese folder,) and a couple of Ikonta's, together with 4 TLR,s which are my main ''Armament'' when it comes to MF photgraphy, I love them and they certainly produce the goods for me, I also have a number of 35mm folders, from Voightlander,Zeiss Ikon and 3 Nagal Retinas, again in regular use, I almost I also have a Voightlander Bessa 66,(the ''Baby Bessa'') from 1938, but that only gets used now and again,
Richard
Old 29th May 2011, 08:58 AM
Friend

The Zeiss sounds ideal. PM me you details and what you want for it, and we can go from there.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies