Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th September 2015, 02:05 PM
Friend

Default Ground glass and light seals

I'm looking for some advice about maintaining the screen on my 4x5 camera. It is a Horseman screen with a fresnel lens. The screen has grid lines, format markings and a clear centre spot. I've noticed some 'clear' areas across the ground glass, so I took it apart to see what these are. At the same time, I found foam which appears similar to light seal material along each edge of the frame. This has deteriorated and left black residue on the edges of the glass. You can't see this when the frame is assembled. Does anyone know what causes the 'clear' patches on the ground glass? Should I bother cleaning and replacing the foam? I can use the screen as it is, and I don't want to risk damage, but would clean it if it can be done easily.
Alex
Old 14th September 2015, 02:18 PM
Friend

Ground glass tends to look clear if you get moisture or grease/oil onto the rough side. Even grease from fingertips or nose will do it. Could be that?
Old 14th September 2015, 02:33 PM
Friend

Thanks Dave. I did wonder about that as I've washed a plain ground glass before, and it looked clear when wet. On this one, the ground surface isn't exposed as it faces the fresnel screen. It could have been exposed to moisture at some point before I bought it, although the camera is generally in good condition. I might try washing in the area of the marks to see what happens.
Alex
Old 14th September 2015, 02:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I might try washing in the area of the marks to see what happens.
Be very careful if the grid lines are on the glass - I have a GG from an MPP that I wiped with a damp cloth, and the lines started to come off.
Old 14th September 2015, 02:45 PM
Friend

Thanks Paul. I would prefer to keep the markings if there is a risk of damage with cleaning.
Alex
Old 14th September 2015, 04:16 PM
Friend

The clear patches are probably just greasy. The Fresnel lens is machined or moulded from acrylic, which can easily be degraded by unsuitable solvents. A weak solution of washing-up liquid will remove grease, as will Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). Foil-packed spectacle-cleaning cloths are probably safe. Do not use anything abrasive.
Ground glass can be cleaned with window cleaner but it may be difficult to remove it from the etched pits. Soapy water is safer.
Old 14th September 2015, 05:25 PM
Friend

Thanks Jonathan. I will leave the fresnel lens aside. I have some isopropyl to try on the glass. I'm guessing the foam along the edges is simply to seat the screen securely in its frame, rather than a light seal. There doesn't seem any need for a light seal, other than perhaps to prevent flare on the screen?
Alex
Old 14th September 2015, 08:43 PM
Friend

Seal might just be to stop your breath condensing between the layers on cold days?
Old 9th November 2015, 08:11 PM
Friend

Did you ever figure it out ? I love to get a finish to a thread like this
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies