Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th December 2015, 10:46 PM
Friend

Default 240mm lens on 4x5

I'm looking at buying a 240mm f9 Schneider G Claron to use on my Horseman 4x5 monorail. I have a maximum extension of 400mm available. I want the lens for portraits and still life. Is it likely to be able to focus close enough? The flange focal distance is 234mm, so I have approximately 160mm extension beyond infinity focus. Without trying it, I can't envisage how close it will go. Does anyone have a calculation, or experience of this lens on a 4x5 camera? Thanks,
Alex
Old 27th December 2015, 12:06 AM
Friend

Alex - There's a magnification/extension table at mppusers.com/magnific.htm . It unfortunately lists only up to 210mm focal length; but you may be able to extrapolate from it.

They must have compiled it from somewhere: I'm still looking around and shall let you know if anything turns up.
Old 27th December 2015, 12:50 AM
Friend

A 240mm f9 Schneider G Claron is not a "thin" lens but the Thin Lens Formula is close enough for practical purposes:

1/u + 1/v = 1/f where:
u is the distance from the subject to the lens.
v is the distance from the image to the lens and
f is the lens focal length.

Measurement units must be the same for all three parameters. Good luck!
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 27th December 2015, 06:00 AM
Friend

Alex I always find this Large format homepage very helpful and there is a section on lenses with a sub section on portraits hope it helps. You will need to copy and paste this as I don't know how to send it as a link. http://www.largeformatphotography.info
Richard
Old 27th December 2015, 06:01 AM
Friend

Looks like it came up as a link anyway.
Richard
Old 27th December 2015, 09:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I'm looking at buying a 240mm f9 Schneider G Claron to use on my Horseman 4x5 monorail. I have a maximum extension of 400mm available. I want the lens for portraits and still life. Is it likely to be able to focus close enough? The flange focal distance is 234mm, so I have approximately 160mm extension beyond infinity focus. Without trying it, I can't envisage how close it will go. Does anyone have a calculation, or experience of this lens on a 4x5 camera? Thanks,
Alex
With that amount of extension you should be able to focus down to about 2 feet. So probably fine for your purposes.

The G Clarons are very good lenses by the way. Another one to consider at that focal length, if you see one, is the Fuji 240/9, or the Docter Germinar W 240/9.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:13 AM
Friend

Alex - Maris's reply gives you the formula. Here's an amplification, from the 1927 edition of Neblette's Photography:

"If the values of any two of the [three] terms are known, it becomes a simple matter to find the other from the following:

f = vu/(v + u)

u = fv/(v - f)

v = fu/(u - f)"

In your case, you want to know u; so

u = (240 x 400)/(400-240)

= 600mm, or about 25", as DaveP indicated. In other words, with your 400mm rail and a 240mm lens, you can focus from infinity down to about 25 inches.

I'll photograph the relevant pages and e-mail them to you.
Old 27th December 2015, 01:11 PM
Friend

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I had posted quite late yesterday, and have only just come back to the computer. 25" or thereby should be fine, and will give a bigger image size than I can achieve at present. The formula and links are a great reference for future purchases. I hope everyone had a great time over the last few days. The sun has come out today so I may manage some photography.
Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies