Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st May 2016, 09:46 AM
Friend

Default Chemical Storage-exended preservation.

I have just checked C41 developer that I placed in a amber glass screw top storage bottle about 5 weeks ago. The bottle was 150cc and I filled it with about 80cc of left over developer from an old kit so there was a fairly large air gap above the developer. This was an intentional test.

I then microwaved the bottle (less the cap) for 10 secs on full power to get the contents hot - but not actually boiling. Then I fitted the airtight screw top. When it cooled down it formed a vacuum inside the bottle. Obviously the screw cap must be airtight or the idea would not work.

I opened the bottle yesterday and the contents had not changed colour in the intervening time. I mixed the developer with some from a new kit and processed the film as normal. The results were fine and have been scanned without a problem and no colour casts. Printing later today will be the real test.

Last edited by John King; 31st May 2016 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 31st May 2016, 03:57 PM
Friend

Interesting

I don't know if all developers react so benignly to being heated - I have heard of someone making D76 with water at 70C and the resulting solution being useless.

Personally, I have great faith in Protectan - https://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/...icals/AT105193

Martin
Old 31st May 2016, 05:10 PM
Friend

As it is a principally non organic substance then heat, somewhat less than boiling say around 75c should have no effect. I know it works with C41 which is what it was used with, then I will continue to use it.
Old 31st May 2016, 05:15 PM
Friend

On the topic of chemical storage, I used to buy brown glass bottles from Boots, but they will no longer sell them to the public. Glass bottles are vastly better than plastic and are air impervious.

I have found another supplier which is www.ampula.co.uk. Based in Manchester they can supply sizes from 50cl up to 1litre
Old 31st May 2016, 05:46 PM
Friend

As I keep saying and will keep saying until someone listens, I don't know why folk are happy having to fill their bottles with marbles/filling them with flammable gas/boiling their chems (delete as applicable) when vacuum wine bottle stoppers and a pump are affordable, easy, convenient, and safe.

Brown glass bottles are readily available in a few convenient sizes from all supermarkets and generally come filled with a delicious and relaxing brewed beverage as a bonus. Advisable not to imbibe too many immediately prior to darkroom work though.
Old 31st May 2016, 06:49 PM
Friend

Default Chemical Storage

Proof of the pudding

This print is from the negatives where the developer was heated before sealing, then mixed with a bit of new to make up the full quantity

The print was quite easy to make with only a little dodging in the bottom right 1/3rd because it was quite contrasty light in the late evening.

The camera was my Minolta XE1 with a Minolta 24/35 zoom and the film was Fuji Superia. The original is very sharp.

As for our methods how we preserve our chemicals, it is a case of each to their own. None is wrong nor any has any real advantage in a practical way over the others except my way costs a lot less that others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanfield Railway.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	2518  

Last edited by John King; 31st May 2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 31st May 2016, 08:00 PM
Friend

As you say John the proof of the pudding is right in front of our eyes. It passes all my tests.

This might be wishful thinking but I suspect that C41 developer may be less delicate than the usual consensus would have us believe

Mike
Old 1st June 2016, 10:49 AM
Friend

Default Chemical storage

I have just had a new 2.5l pack of C41 developer delivered (Digibase) and in the mixing instructions the minimum temp for mixing the working solution is 50C. Incidentally the mixing and processing instructions are very much more comprehensive and detailed. They include developing times for C41 films at lower and higher temps than the usual 38c

I also think that the person who over heated D76 was either very unlucky, or something else went wrong, or with the much lower processing temperature of B&W developer. this would be totally unsuitable.
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
As I keep saying and will keep saying until someone listens, I don't know why folk are happy having to fill their bottles with marbles/filling them with flammable gas/boiling their chems (delete as applicable) when vacuum wine bottle stoppers and a pump are affordable, easy, convenient, and safe.

Brown glass bottles are readily available in a few convenient sizes from all supermarkets and generally come filled with a delicious and relaxing brewed beverage as a bonus. Advisable not to imbibe too many immediately prior to darkroom work though.
I
I took your advice and I do use wine bottle vacuum pumps/ stoppers, I can second that they work very well.
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:24 PM
Friend

Result! Hope they work well for you.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies