Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th January 2010, 10:45 AM
Friend

Default Print Dry Down

Hi Les

I was reading your article on print dry down on your web site, very interesting. I just wanted to ask why you choose to work out the dry down times for each paper. I have always dried each test print before making a final choice on exposure. Have you chose to adopt this method as a time saving device? (saving time on drying each test print)

If I understand the procedure correctly, you would assess the test print wet and when you were happy with exposure decisions, you would apply the reduced exposure obtained from your testing to the final print. For example if the wet test print gave you the density you wanted at 20 secs and testing told you to reduce exposure by 10% you would give the final print 18 secs to match the look of the wet test print after dry down, is that correct?

Neil

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***

Old 26th January 2010, 11:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
Hi Les

I was reading your article on print dry down on your web site, very interesting. I just wanted to ask why you choose to work out the dry down times for each paper. I have always dried each test print before making a final choice on exposure. Have you chose to adopt this method as a time saving device? (saving time on drying each test print)

If I understand the procedure correctly, you would assess the test print wet and when you were happy with exposure decisions, you would apply the reduced exposure obtained from your testing to the final print. For example if the wet test print gave you the density you wanted at 20 secs and testing told you to reduce exposure by 10% you would give the final print 18 secs to match the look of the wet test print after dry down, is that correct?

Neil

Hi Neil, I test every paper I use once each year just in case the manufacturers have altered the characteristics , it does happen. Your assumption is correct, I work this way to save time and have done this for some twenty odd years and I'm quite happy with the consistency of my final prints.

Your understanding of what my description of the method is quite correct. I do use the RH Designs fStop timer which has a dry down feature built in so I do not have to make a manual calculation for every print, I just switch the dry down feature on. If you can justify it I'd recommend that you purchase one as soon as possible, it is one of the best pieces of darkroom equipment I have.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:55 AM
Friend

Thanks for the reply and your advice it's much appreciated, I will give this method a try. As soon as I read your article it struck me as a very good working method.

I have had a look at the RH Designs fStop Timer and would love one, and a recommendation from someone with your experience is helpful in reassuring me it's a good investment. I might have to wait to get one as I have recently spent quite a large sum of money, to rebuild and equip my darkroom that I got rid of several years ago (my business is Digital based for commercial reasons). There was also two additions last year to my cameras with a Chamonix 45N-1 and a Leica M6, possibly when I sell my Wista DX I can think about the Timer, though I am looking at getting a Berlebach wooden tripod for the Chamonix.

Once again thanks for the advice it's very appreciated.

Neil

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***