Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th August 2010, 01:50 PM
Friend

Default Subject brightness range

Les

I would welcome your advice on something that has been vexing me for some time. Every time I take a photograph in what I consider to bright, fairly contrasty light it seems that there are always four stops between my most important shadow and my most important highlight. I can't understand why this should be.

I use a Sekonic 1 degree spot meter and my metering regime goes like this

I carefully study the scene and find and take a reading of what I consider to be the most important shadow.

I then do the same with what I consider the most important highligh. It. The difference always seems to be four stops.

Is my understading of how to measure a scen's SBR flawed?

Thank you.

Adrian

PS the meter is working properly and the batteries are fresh.

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***

Old 18th August 2010, 03:14 PM
Friend

Hi Adrian, long time no see?

You raise an interesting point, for I also have noticed that quite often I have only 4 stops of contrast and I follow the same procedure that you describe. One thing that I would mention is that if you are using a one degree spot meter such as the Soligor (I use this) or Pentax, flare will make a difference to the reading especially where you are making the reading into the main light source of the subject. I noticed this many years ago and got into the habit of cupping my hand around the barrel of the meter to act as a lens shade, it can make a difference of 1 to 1.5 stops.

Another conclusion that I have arrived at is that I tend to be attracted to a certain degree or type of lighting which gives me the modeling and effects that appeal. It would seem that 4 to 5 stops of contrast is that norm or perhaps it's the daft Geordie in me???!!! Maybe you have similar likes and dislikes although perhaps not the daft Geordie bit???!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about this Adrian, the main thing is to get the information on to the negative and if you do wish to have a wider contrast range in the final print it is quite simple to use traditional methods in the darkroom to achieve this.
Old 18th August 2010, 06:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
Hi Adrian, long time no see?

You raise an interesting point, for I also have noticed that quite often I have only 4 stops of contrast and I follow the same procedure that you describe. One thing that I would mention is that if you are using a one degree spot meter such as the Soligor (I use this) or Pentax, flare will make a difference to the reading especially where you are making the reading into the main light source of the subject. I noticed this many years ago and got into the habit of cupping my hand around the barrel of the meter to act as a lens shade, it can make a difference of 1 to 1.5 stops.

Another conclusion that I have arrived at is that I tend to be attracted to a certain degree or type of lighting which gives me the modeling and effects that appeal. It would seem that 4 to 5 stops of contrast is that norm or perhaps it's the daft Geordie in me???!!! Maybe you have similar likes and dislikes although perhaps not the daft Geordie bit???!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about this Adrian, the main thing is to get the information on to the negative and if you do wish to have a wider contrast range in the final print it is quite simple to use traditional methods in the darkroom to achieve this.
Les

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I'm flattered you may remember me. It was Focus on Imaging in, I think, 2003. I watched, with great interest one of your digital demonstrations.

I will make a point of shading the front of my light meter, a Sekonik 400 series. It does not have a barrel like the Soligor but the lens is not recessed.

I certainly agree with my choice of lighting. I tend to be attracted to bright days with definite shadows. I am trying to expand my experience of different types of light to become more rounded.

Daft Geordie?? I don't think so. I have heard that the definition of a George is a Scotsman with his head kicked in (I am Scots BTW) but your writings seem to debunk that theory.

Best regards.

Adrian

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***