Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th May 2011, 08:02 AM
Friend

Default stop for RA4 in nova quad

Hi

I just bought a nova quad and would like to do RA4 in it
I bought kodak RA4 dev and Blix kits but think I will need a stop
Kodak say a acid stop then wash but this would not seem to fit with the 4 slots as the last slot is for wash only so it seems to be out of order

What do others do and what stop do you use
I have ilfostop and fotospeed SB40

thanks

robin
Old 26th May 2011, 08:53 AM
Friend

Robin,

The Nova may not have been designed for specifically RA4 as Nova made several types for different processes including one for Reversal Colour printing from slides. Contact Nova to check this out.

Any acid stop bath mixed correctly shold do.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 26th May 2011, 01:24 PM
Friend

Not a problem, many use the Nova Quad for RA4. it was designed for just such a purpose.The slots become Dev, Stop, Blix and quick dip wash or if you follow the Kodak process Dev, Stop Wash and Blix.

I'd try Blix straight after Stop personally. The Stop prevents dev contamination but a slight carryover from stop to blix won't matter.

As far as I recall an ex Kodak engineeer on another site uses the Dev, Stop Blix then wash in running water routine.

Bear in mind that the fourth slot doesn't give you running water which is needed in my opinion. It is simply a dip.

You coud avoid water altogether using the fourth slot for prints brightener/stabiliser. The makers of this such as Nova or Fotospeed say this works but it does exhaust the brightener quickly and become expensive. If you have a running water slot or a tray then you can do what I did which was blix straight into running water or tray and then after about 30 secs to a minute transfer into the brightener. This prolongs the life of the brightener.

Does brightener actually brighten the prints and make it look better? Well Nova says it does by about 10%. I think there is a marginal improvement in brightness.

Mike
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:33 AM
Friend

Default Quad

I also use a quad for RA4 but never use the wash slot. The sequence I use is as per the others have said before - Dev-stop-bleach-fix. The sink is close by so I have no need to use the water slot.
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I also use a quad for RA4 but never use the wash slot. The sequence I use is as per the others have said before - Dev-stop-bleach-fix. The sink is close by so I have no need to use the water slot.
Ditto. My darkroom is our spare bedroom so there is no water supply. I place the Blixed print into a tray of water then across to the bathroom for washing for two minutes.
Paul
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:55 PM
Friend

I'm not using this machine so can't comment about that part, as for the stop bath I use Kodak indicator stop bath 16ml per liter (or 1:61). Any other should work just fine.

Cheers, M.
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
... for the stop bath I use Kodak indicator stop bath 16ml per liter (or 1:61). Any other should work just fine.
I've switched to using citric acid. One teaspoon per litre works well enough for me (lith or B&W), and at £2.95 per kilogramme, a tub will last a long time.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies