Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd January 2015, 11:58 AM
Friend

This will sound like "dismal Jimmy" speaking but I got the impression that a blue filter's fog and mist enhancing ability was limited. In fact isn't there a special "fog" filter available from the likes of Cokin just because of this. If a blue was really good at mist and fog you'd think that in every book about filters this would be emphasised and shown as one of its main benefits and I have never noticed such references

Hopefully I am wrong Jimmy but maybe better not to build you hopes up too much.

Mike
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:08 PM
Friend

A blue filter is also useful in high-contrast lighting with deep shadows where the only light is coming from a blue sky. One circumstance I found it handy was a snowy, sunny woodland scene.
Old 22nd January 2015, 02:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
This will sound like "dismal Jimmy" speaking but I got the impression that a blue filter's fog and mist enhancing ability was limited. In fact isn't there a special "fog" filter available from the likes of Cokin just because of this. If a blue was really good at mist and fog you'd think that in every book about filters this would be emphasised and shown as one of its main benefits and I have never noticed such references

Hopefully I am wrong Jimmy but maybe better not to build you hopes up too much.

Mike

You could always breathe on the lens for a low cost solution. 😀
Alex.
Old 22nd January 2015, 04:48 PM
Friend

Default foggy

a fog filter is something completely different i believe, a blur essentially , which isnt really helpfull to anyone i imagine.
Old 22nd January 2015, 07:24 PM
Friend

The great thing about Cokin Ps is that they are reasonably priced compared to the round threaded filters. It might be worth buying both light and dark blue, Jimmy.

Be sure to tell us how each performs, with print scans if poss. This is clearly an area where collectively we seem to lack experience so you can extend our knowledge.

I have a mist and mountain dew filter which works but is very expensive and I try never to use it except at night and then sparingly.

It's called Dalwhinnie

Mike
Old 22nd January 2015, 07:33 PM
Friend

I've heard from a few places that a blue filter will increase the effect of mist or haze. That's primary blue, however, not those 80-series correction filters which are intended to alter tungsten type sources with warmer color temperatures to better match the response of daylight balanced color film.

More typically in landscape photography the concern is in reducing haze, not increasing it. But there are some circumstances where this would be a useful visual effect to have on hand.

This is largely conjecture on my part, since I haven't actually tried shooting with a blue filter; I really should make a few test shots using a bit of the primary blue gel material I bought for above-negative use in split grade enlarging, just to see how it affects tonality and haze.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies