Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th August 2015, 04:50 PM
Friend

Default dust loading dark slides

What puts me off buying a large format camera is the thouhgt of getting dust on the film when loading dark slides.Are my fears unfounded, how do you prevent the issue?
Old 28th August 2015, 06:24 PM
Friend

An interesting question Norm. There is also the question of the camera. What kind to get? What movements will you need? And the format. Will 5x4 be big enough or should you push the boat out and go for 5x7 or even 10x8? And how many lenses will be the minimum needed? And what focal lengths? Tough choices here. And just where do you buy all this stuff? And will your tripod be big enough to support it or will you need to upgrade?
And then when you get it all you realise the lenses have different thread sizes, so what on earth to do about filters? And what sort of bag will be best to carry it all around in?
Then you need to concern yourself with how to develop the film, always assuming that you have taken out a second mortgage so you can buy some from Ilford.
Finally the day comes to go out and take a few pictures... I notice you live in Derbyshire. As you lug the lot up to the top of your nearest Peak the load gets heavier and heavier. It's blowing a gale. After a struggle you set the camera up on its tripod, but you daren't let go of it in case it blows over....
At this point Norm I can guarantee one thing. You won't be worrying about dust.

But don't let me put you off. Go for it. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Alan
Old 28th August 2015, 07:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
What puts me off buying a large format camera is the thouhgt of getting dust on the film when loading dark slides.Are my fears unfounded, how do you prevent the issue?
If your changing bag/tent doesn't have any dust in it, then where do you think this dust is going to come from?

You vaccuum the inside of changing bag/tent once in a while.
You clean/vacuum your film holders before you put them in the changing bag/tent. The film in its box shouldn't have any dust in it and you just stick your washed and dried hands in the bag sleeves.

So your concerns about loading film aren't really valid. Sure once in a while you'll get a speck a of dust from loading.

However, where its far more likely to come from is the film holder which has been marched around in your camera bag and then gets pushed in camera back where more dust may be lurking. Dark slide then gets pulled and dust deposited on your film so visual check before inserting in camera and light blow.

There's always airborne dust, especially on windy days.

It's just one of the joys of LF.
Old 28th August 2015, 09:43 PM
Friend

I would agree with Argentum- dust sounds like a worry but is very manageable.
The film comes clean.
If you load in the darkroom wipe down worktops with a damp cloth to suppress dust just before loading.
When you unload, blow off any dust and store holders in a zip-lock bag until you reload.
When you print, a 10x8 is a x2 linear enlargement- dust spots are little. Some only show under magnification when you start spotting.
Scratches are more of a worry as you handle the film more than 35mm or 120- Kodak and Ilford are fine, Foma is a bit 'soft'. Practice makes perfect.

Dust isn't a reason to avoid shooting LF.
There are plenty of much better reasons, but once you start you won't be able to stop . . .
Old 28th August 2015, 10:48 PM
Friend

Keep a 1½" paintbrush in your bag, and give the holder a good dusting before inserting in to the camera. Give the holders a good dusting inside and out when empty and give them an occasional wipe with a damp cloth. When loading/unloading film, wear latex or vinyl gloves.

Dust can be a problem with any film size. With 5x4 and larger, it is possible to spot the negatives as well as the prints.
Old 28th August 2015, 10:52 PM
Friend

I go with the sealed bag option for storing the loaded holders, and vacuum them out, inside and out, each time before loading. A wipe with an anti-static brush every now and again doesn't go amiss, as does replacing the bags regularly.

Another thing you can do while loading the holders into the camera is to give them a sharp whack on your hand, this is to make sure the film is seated down properly (to avoiding dropping during exposure) and also in the hope that it might dislodge any remaining dust.
Old 29th August 2015, 01:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post

I don't think this is something you really need to worry about. If you fancy LF work, get the camera, etc and go for it. If dust starts to be a problem, I'm sure there are ways of dealing with it. I've recently started working in 4x5, and I can thoroughly recommend it. I'm sure you would enjoy the experience, and the results.
Alex.
Old 29th August 2015, 08:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
An interesting question Norm. There is also the question of the camera. What kind to get? What movements will you need? And the format. Will 5x4 be big enough or should you push the boat out and go for 5x7 or even 10x8? And how many lenses will be the minimum needed? And what focal lengths? Tough choices here. And just where do you buy all this stuff? And will your tripod be big enough to support it or will you need to upgrade?
And then when you get it all you realise the lenses have different thread sizes, so what on earth to do about filters? And what sort of bag will be best to carry it all around in?
Then you need to concern yourself with how to develop the film, always assuming that you have taken out a second mortgage so you can buy some from Ilford.
Finally the day comes to go out and take a few pictures... I notice you live in Derbyshire. As you lug the lot up to the top of your nearest Peak the load gets heavier and heavier. It's blowing a gale. After a struggle you set the camera up on its tripod, but you daren't let go of it in case it blows over....
At this point Norm I can guarantee one thing. You won't be worrying about dust.

But don't let me put you off. Go for it. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Alan
Alan you just put me off I know DaveP carries with ease a 5x4 around the Peak District but its a lightweight Chamonix and he is: near half my age, fitter, taller, far better looking, more intelligent and his photos are excellent. I once had the pleasure of lifting his fully loaded sackIt was not too heavy for him being a super fit rock climber, for me it would be. You are correct Alan carrying all the camera gear, waterproofs, flask sandwiches etc. would be a burden for me, unless I start on some kind of plan to improve my fitness.
Old 29th August 2015, 08:32 AM
Friend

Norm,
When I lived in North Staffordshire I did quite a bit of photography in Derbyshire. As I remember it, there are some very nice flat bits. Perhaps could start with these. and gradually work up...

Alan
Old 29th August 2015, 09:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
And then when you get it all you realise the lenses have different thread sizes, so what on earth to do about filters?
I have standardised on two thread sizes - 58mm for the smaller lenses, and 67mm for the bigger ones. Any lens than doesn't accept either size gets a step up ring permanently installed along with a new lens cap.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies