Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th September 2015, 07:13 PM
Friend

Default Anyone printed XP2 on colour paper?

I had some xp2 developed at Boots chemist several years ago on colour paper, the prints had a lovely sepia look . Does anyone know what filters need to be used to get the sepia tone with XP2 on colour paper?
Old 14th September 2015, 07:49 PM
Friend

Norm, the filters may vary a bit depending on whether the paper is Kodak or Fuji but having said that I have never tried it so cannot provide an answer.

I have just had a look at a very old book I have which illustrates various tones from a B&W neg on RA4 and the filtration for brown was 75Y and 50M.

The suggestion was to use a piece of unexposed but fully developed C41 film to provide a mask which apparently reduces the filtration needed.

What the book doesn't say is what the paper was( probably a paper long since vanished anyway) but the ratio of 75Y to 50M may not have changed much( hopefully).

Hopefully this filtration will close but may be either be too brown or too blue. If too blue then try reducing the Y but leaving the M as it is. If too brown then increase the Y.

Unless someone here has tried it with current paper it might mean a a lot of experimentation but if you follow the colour cast chart you should get there. If it were me I'd write the filtrations on the borders or put a sticky on the bottom of the print.

My head spun enough as it was when I tried cast correction without the added burden of trying to remember what I had previously done

Best of luck

Mike
Old 16th September 2015, 06:32 AM
Friend

I have not printed XP2 on color paper but I did, years ago, print some TMZ negatives on color paper. They had been shot under torch (of the flame type, not what we over here call a flashlight) light and candle light, so I filtered them to look that color. Best I recall that was nearly no filtration. A bit of experiment should be easy enough.

Here's one of those, TMZ negative, EI 6400, printed on Kodak RA4 paper:

SCACOURT by Roger Cole, on Flickr
Old 16th September 2015, 03:25 PM
Friend

Glad you came along Roger. That's the picture I had in mind but I couldn't remember who had submitted it or when or where. Any attempt by me to give Norm clues where to find it would have sent him on a wild goose chase

Reminds me of an advert I saw once where the Dad says to his son: And where do you think you might have buried Daddy's car?The kid points and swings his arm over about 7 miles of beach

Mike
Old 20th September 2015, 08:17 PM
Friend

Default Printing XP2 Negatives

I saw this the other day and thought...... No I havn't! I have successfully printed Kodak CN400 with normal fitration used for colour negatives. Here the term 'normal' ceases to have any sensible meaning when printing XP2.

Admitedly the negative was quite old but still unmarked and scanned OK. I started out with 40M and 30Y using FUJI paper. The 1st test strip was very red, almost orange. Several, no make that many test strips later, I got something verging on almost correct and that was 60M and 85Y.

It was still a bit brownish so increased the filtration to 65M 90Y and this went just a bit too far and there was a hint of Cyan. I didn't make a large print, but using Kodak units somewhere around 62.5m and 82.5Y will not be far off the mark.

Basically using XP2 is largely quite difficult to get a good print.
Old 21st September 2015, 07:12 AM
Friend

Further to the above it appears to be particularly sensitive to mixed light sources. Why I don't know, because it is theorectically a Monochrome film. When I checked in daylight this morning, one part of the test showed a decent colour, (or lack of it) but another part (a highlght) a cyan cast was obvious.
Old 21st September 2015, 07:10 PM
Friend

XP2 is super simple to use to get a good print - on normal b&w paper. Lacking the orange mask of CN2 and color C41 films it prints just like a conventional b&w negative. Filtration for orange masked CN2 on color paper won't have any relevance to printing XP2.
Old 21st September 2015, 07:24 PM
Friend

Roger can you recall the filtration and enlarger you used to get the red/brown effect with CN2? This of course might only be relevant if it was the same paper as Norm and if his is a different enlarger then there is maybe a factor that can be applied to your filtration to get him close to the sepia look he wants.

It seemed to me that if John King got close to a neutral RA4 print from what I think was a traditional B&W neg i.e. not chromogenic like XP2 then reducing M and Y in the same amounts from those filtrations will get Norm to a red look but what I am not sure about is what the change is required to give a brown/sepia look?

Thanks

Mike

Mike
Old 21st September 2015, 08:42 PM
Friend

Default C41 film for Black and white

I never was a fan of XP2, besides I can get better and easier results by using a conventional B&W film. Now Kodak CN400 that was different!

I have had a modicum of success printing FP4 onto RA4 paper using a blank piece of C41 film above the negative as a basic colour mask. I found that the normal filtration gave a tone very similar to the old, long gone, Kodak Bromesko chloro-bromide paper.
Old 22nd September 2015, 03:14 AM
Friend

I never used CN2. The prints I made were on RA4 paper from (conventional b&w) TMZ.

But again there seems to be some confusion here. Unlike the Kodak chromogenic B&W films XP2 (which I like a LOT and sorely tempts me to stock C41 chems for the Jobo and shoot more of) is NOT masked. There is no orange color mask. The negatives look to the eye just like any other black and white negative.

Best I recall, and bear in mind I print those some 20 years or so ago, there was only a small amount of filtration. I have the original prints and may have written filtration notes on the backs of some. I'll check when I get a chance.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies