Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd May 2016, 10:38 AM
Friend

The difference between the lenses is that AI lens came into being in the 1980s before this the lens had a cage on the top that fitted into a finger that would calibrate the lens to the body.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:25 PM
Friend

I have a Series E 50mm/1.8 and find it makes great photos. Looks funny on the F5 though. Just not a meaty and robust as a typical Nikkor lens.
Old 4th May 2016, 07:28 AM
Friend

Thanks everyone. I'm still reading up on things you've all suggested so far.

I forgot to ask: which bodies are more scratch, and rust resistant - black or silver ones?

Bests,
Ashfaque
Old 4th May 2016, 07:51 AM
Friend

I don't think there's a huge difference to be honest. The black ones will eventually brass out on the edges, not sure about the chrome ones, but it's the same basic camera inside. Probably more of a consideration is do you want to go for more of a 1980s look (black) or a 1970s look (chrome)!
Old 4th May 2016, 08:25 AM
Friend

Black is more sexy but the silver are probably more resistant to day to day use. I have a mixture of each. I would go for the best example you can find, irrespective of its finish.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 19th June 2016, 10:52 PM
Friend

I ended up buying a Silver FM2n ($175) and a Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 Ai-S ($150) from an RFF member about two weeks ago. A family friend will bring those when she returns from NA. Perfect timing for my Eid gift (to myself).

Thank you all for your helps.

Bests,

Ashfaque
Old 20th June 2016, 03:04 AM
Friend

I'd have the FM2n serviced if you don't know the last time it was done.
Old 20th June 2016, 04:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
The 28mm and 35mm are also good, useable lenses. The 75-150mm Series E zoom apparently had a degree of 'cult' status when it was current, although I've never tried one myself. I agree about the 100mm which I have used.
Alex
I have had a 75-100 Series E zoom since 2002 and have no complaimts about it. Versatile portrait lens.
The body these lenses were made for, the EM, was shoddy.
Old 20th June 2016, 07:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKCarberry View Post
I'd have the FM2n serviced if you don't know the last time it was done.
The person I bought from, who has good reputation on RFF, said that the camera is operating as it should be and he was using it regularly. So it should be fine.

BTW, whilst doing my research, I seriously thought about F4. But the viewfinder DP-20 seems to have a common problem of LCD leaking. I still might get an F4 later though. The variety of lens it can take makes it a good body.
Old 20th June 2016, 09:52 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashfaque View Post
The person I bought from, who has good reputation on RFF, said that the camera is operating as it should be and he was using it regularly. So it should be fine.

BTW, whilst doing my research, I seriously thought about F4. But the viewfinder DP-20 seems to have a common problem of LCD leaking. I still might get an F4 later though. The variety of lens it can take makes it a good body.
The beauty of the f4 is that just about any pre digital lens will work on it (see lens compatibility chart on ken rockwell site). Also it well dust proofed and built like a tank,shame it has no built in flash. I have 2, one in mint condition the other well battered but still going strong. They are quite big and heavy, never had a problem with the DP-20. I use a F2.8 28-70mm afd lens on mine most of the time it is an absolute gem of a lens, I often read on the net that zoom lenses are not as sharp as prime lenses; if the 28-70mm afd is not sharp enough for you, consider having an eyesight test. Another camera that is often overlooked is the FE2, it has a good range of functions and it can do TTL flash. Cheap as chips but a bit fragile/plasticky is the Lightweight F80 it has brilliant exposure meter on par with the F100 and F5 but it likes AFD lens best to sing. A very good camera for hiking and easily replaced at low cost, I often see these go for less than £25 on Ebay.

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 20th June 2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added text

Tags
cheap, fm2n, fm3a, nikon f2, nikon lens
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies