Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd July 2016, 08:52 AM
Friend

Default microphen is doing my crust in

I have been using Ilford microphen I mixed it up properly as instructions and have followed them and increased time as instructed but all my films are coming out a little over developed I developed my 5th roll with the same time as a first roll and it came out ok ,I develop one roll of film and I then pour the developer back in to the bottle am I doing this right is anybody having the same problem as me or is it just me..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 3rd July 2016, 03:25 PM
Friend

What film
What dilution
What time and temp

I can take a stab at dilution by guessing its stock since you're pouring it back in the bottle, but I dunno, I don't use any developer twice and pouring it back in the bottle means you kinda lose track of its strength over time I suppose.
I've used microphen, but its not my go to dev so I'm no expert on it.
Old 3rd July 2016, 06:47 PM
Friend

Use 1:1 and discard after use and in this way you will introduce consistency into your process.
Old 3rd July 2016, 08:28 PM
Friend

The problem with using it 'stock' and not diluted is that you (or at least I) don't often use a whole litre at once. If you use 500ml only half the stock solution is used and the rest of the developer in the bottle is unused. In that case I would only add 5% to the time for each film. You might need to experiment for accurate and repeatable results.

I second the recommendation to use it diluted than discard it. I prefer the results with 1:1 to stock anyway. Films seem a bit sharper and development times are still reasonable. I'm told 1:2 and 1:3 also gives excellent results although I haven't tried them.

Microphen at 1:1 is my standard developer for faster films. I love HP5+ at 800 for 15 minutes. Just the right balance of grain and contrast for me.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 4th July 2016, 08:30 AM
Friend

With small volumes the method is not consistent. The best system was replenishment but Ilford dropped the larger sizes and replenisher quite a few years ago. I've made up my own in the oast as Microphen is ID-68.

RAther than 1+1 dilution I'd suggest 1+2 which is more economic but not too dilute like 1+3.

Ian
Old 5th July 2016, 11:53 AM
Friend

Paul, some more background info would be useful in order to help you. As others have noted, what is your film, time, temp, etc.?

Also, when you say "overdeveloped", I assume you mean your negs are too dense. Is that the case? If so, what film speed are you rating at? Microphen is known as a speed increasing developer (if you want it to be so). Perhaps your film speed is too low and you are overexposing rather than overdeveloping(?). I know that sounds like an obvious question - not trying to insult your intelligence, but sometimes such things need to be asked

Hope you get it sorted out.

I have always wanted to try Microphen, and may do so soon as I am finding myself shooting a lot more frequently in low light situations without a tripod and wishing for a couple of stops more speed. You don't read much about it out there on the web, so a bit difficult to get a handle on it's character.

Best,
Svend
Old 5th July 2016, 04:07 PM
Friend

thanks all for your help.. rob archer you are spot on , I will try this I have another pack of microphen dev I will dev 4 rolls without increasing development time ,the times they give to increase after every roll is to much as you have said ,I suppose its trial and error with this developer .my negs have been coming out slightly over developed but not to bad as to affect the final print when this developer is finished I will go back to my old trusted Ilfosol 3 ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 5th July 2016, 04:22 PM
Friend

Paul -- if your 1st roll also turned out too dense, and your 5th roll was the only one that looked right (being of reduced time in the by-then used stock sol'n), then perhaps your starting time for Roll #1 is too long. All rolls to follow will then also be overdeveloped. Kind of makes sense from what you describe. Or your film speed is too low.

Hope this helps...

Svend

Last edited by Svend; 5th July 2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 5th July 2016, 04:46 PM
Friend

sorry svendN I should have said the first roll was ok its when I started increasing the developing times as the instructions said that it all went Pete tong .I like the easy life so I will stick to my Ilfosol 3 from now on . thanks for you help.

www.essexcockney.com
Old 5th July 2016, 04:58 PM
Friend

Hi Paul,

OK, that makes sense now. Sounds like you're back on track here. Good one.

Best,
Svend
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies