Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th July 2016, 08:57 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Multigrade Warmtone FB Matt VS Glossy

So I'd like to try some Ilford Multigrade Warmtone FB paper. The problem is I can't decide between the matt and glossy finishes.

I'm familiar with Ilford Multigrade Classic FB glossy and I'm wondering how similar or different it is to the Warmtone glossy finish?

And recently, I've been using Bergger Prestige Variable CB Style - Semi-brillant. This does not have a flat matt finish but rather a soft egg-shell sheen to it.
So just how matt is the Ilford Warmtone (semi-) matt finish?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 6th July 2016, 09:46 PM
Friend

I think gloss gives better blacks.
Old 6th July 2016, 10:19 PM
Friend

I suspect the only way to really help you Marty is to send you a print of a MG semi-matt. If you can work out how a surface looks from a description or several descriptions on a forum then you are a better man than I.

Unfortunately I cannot help with a print as I do not use any Ilford FB

Mike
Old 6th July 2016, 10:45 PM
Friend

I've only tried the glossy, which is a nice paper. The Multigrade Classic FB Matt is a true matt finish, which I like. You used to be able to get samples from Ilford. You could try contacting them, or perhaps look at the Harman Express website.
Alex.
Old 7th July 2016, 07:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
I think gloss gives better blacks.
You're probably right Clive and my feeling is that the new MG FB Classic is more glossy than the previous MG FB IV which I actually preferred.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th July 2016, 07:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I suspect the only way to really help you Marty is to send you a print of a MG semi-matt. If you can work out how a surface looks from a description or several descriptions on a forum then you are a better man than I.

Unfortunately I cannot help with a print as I do not use any Ilford FB

Mike
This is very true Mike but the Silverprint 10% off offer on Ilford products ends on the 10th July so unfortunately, I don't have an awful lot of time.

There are a number of factors in my favour at this moment; firstly the 10% discount, secondly the low gbp to eur exchange rate, and a visit to family so no postage.

While I quite fancy a box of both matt and glossy it soon adds up at the 16x20" size.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th July 2016, 07:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I've only tried the glossy, which is a nice paper. The Multigrade Classic FB Matt is a true matt finish, which I like. You used to be able to get samples from Ilford. You could try contacting them, or perhaps look at the Harman Express website.
Alex.
Alex that's good to know. I don't know why, but I can't fully appreciate my prints on a true matt finish at this moment in time but perhaps this will change in the future with a particular project.

According to the Silverprint website the Warmtone FB should be semi-matt but but like Mike says judging how semi won't be easy to find out on a forum I suppose.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th July 2016, 08:07 AM
Friend

When I last used the MGWT FB I far prefered the Glossy finish, I bought a box of matt for a special project, but is was too matt for me, a dead matt, certainly not semi matt, which is what I was after, and did not like it one bit, glossy for me is the way to go,
Richard
Old 7th July 2016, 08:42 AM
Friend

Marty.
I’ve recently used both Matt and Gloss MGWT. Like Richard, I prefer the gloss finish. Although I’ve now made MGIV Classic my standard, because I think it is a more flexible paper. WT still has the slightly off white base compared to Classic and personally I find WT a bit to explosive when it’s toned, it can run away from you. I do like the matt WT, but only for certain subjects and I did find it a little more easy to control when toning. Also when printing on the matt surface I would have to print with more contrast in the midtones to preserve the luminance in the final print. Try and get some 10x8 of each paper and see which you prefer.

David

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 7th July 2016, 09:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
Marty.
I’ve recently used both Matt and Gloss MGWT. Like Richard, I prefer the gloss finish. Although I’ve now made MGIV Classic my standard, because I think it is a more flexible paper. WT still has the slightly off white base compared to Classic and personally I find WT a bit to explosive when it’s toned, it can run away from you. I do like the matt WT, but only for certain subjects and I did find it a little more easy to control when toning. Also when printing on the matt surface I would have to print with more contrast in the midtones to preserve the luminance in the final print. Try and get some 10x8 of each paper and see which you prefer.

David
David is the gloss finish of the mgwt fb identical to the mg classic fb, in your opinion?

- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies