Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th July 2016, 01:41 PM
Friend

Default Removing sticky tape/label deposits

Is it just me, or does all used photographic equipment come complete with sticky tape and random labels on it?

The glue from these often seems impossible to remove completely, but I've finally found a cheap, easy and (so far) completely infallible solution:

Methylated Spirit - removes all gummy deposits, dried on masking tape, parcel tape etc, and doesn't affect plastic or paint (but as they say - "always try in an inconspicuous place first"

It's likely that Surgical spirit works similarly well, but in any event Meths is much better than the expensive cans of remover, which don't actually work very well in my experience
Old 13th July 2016, 07:06 AM
Friend

I will add the ultimate adhesive remover is petrol there is now't it can not shift. The main draw back is, it is unpleasant to use.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 13th July 2016, 07:26 AM
Friend

Petrol, gasoline, benzin, call it what you like can damage some plastics especially now that some brands (most) contain up to 10% methanol. Ask any motorcyclist who has a bike with a plastic tank or plastic in the injection system. It's the death knell!
Old 13th July 2016, 09:39 AM
Friend

As John states, some plastics are alcohol- and gasoline-permeable. But that is long-term. In IEC 60950, the international standard for electrical safety, which is not obviously connected to this thread, there is a test for printed and hand-written labels. The test consists of rubbing the object with a cotton-wool swab soaked in solvent and observing whether the text remains legible. The point is, the rubbing only has to persist for a minute or two. I don't think that the surface of any camera with a plastic surface would be degraded by a quick swab with solvent. But keep it off the lens and shutter. To avoid wayward dribbles, turn the camera until the offending patch faces down.
I have used both alcohol and petrol to remove sticky label residue. If one doesn't work, the other certainly will.
Old 13th July 2016, 11:21 AM
Friend

WD-40 usually works for me. Apply with cotton wad or q-tip and rub until it's gone. I've used it on glass (no optics, of course), metal, plastics and leatherette. The oily residue is easily removed. If you're unsure test in an unvisible part of the item.

Cheers, M.
Old 13th July 2016, 02:16 PM
Friend

Sticky Stuff remover - can't be beaten - safe and smells nice

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 13th July 2016, 04:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Sticky Stuff remover - can't be beaten - safe and smells nice

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover

Neil.
It does smell nice, but it doesn't remove everything, or as cleanly - I know because I recently tried it (failed to work on old parcel tape), which is when I discovered meths
Old 13th July 2016, 04:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
WD-40 usually works for me. Apply with cotton wad or q-tip and rub until it's gone. I've used it on glass (no optics, of course), metal, plastics and leatherette. The oily residue is easily removed. If you're unsure test in an unvisible part of the item.

Cheers, M.
WD-40 rots plastic and rubber, so be careful.

Nick
Old 10th August 2016, 04:56 PM
Friend

rub it with your thumb and use friction, old fashioned ways are still sometimes the best
Old 10th August 2016, 08:36 PM
Friend

If it is a meralic or plastic surface, I use isooropyl alcohol. I regularly bought mine from my local Jardines.

Bests,
Ashfaque
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies